Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
Or just get a smaller pump (less gph), or make the syphon tube/pipe bigger
I agree with this.

Just curious is a your water go through your skimmer before it goes into the sump?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Yeah you def will want to install a t-valve on your return line. On the end of the t-valve(the end flowing back to the dump), install the ball valve. Simply open or close the valve to meet the flow you need. Also I'd like to add that you should only run your sump/ refugium at 50% water level. Reason being is if you have a power failure or your pump, you don't want the tank to overflow from the backflip of water. Easiest way to establish your limit is simply measure your water level while running, then shut it down, let it fill up till it stops, then measure again. The difference in heights will be how far down from the edge you'll want to run your waterline. If its confusing I'll explain it like this. My refugium water line moves up about 4 inches when I shut my pump down, therefore I need to keep my waterline atleast 4" down from the edge when my pumps on.
Thanks Huma, i definitely have thought about the 50% water level in the sump to have a "just incase" backup. I will apply your testing technique as soon as i wake up from some rest. In addition, i will install the valve. Thanks man

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post
You don't want to restrict your return pump to much.
This is true sir! Time and patience along with some positive helpful advice shall lead the way. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota View Post
Or just get a smaller pump (less gph), or make the syphon tube/pipe bigger
I will definitely consider this... Whats a good gph for my tank? What would be overkill?
What will i be earning by making the return tube bigger? I know the plan is to reduce micro bubbles and reduce that return pump noise as well as create a good proper flow. But how?
Thanks a million...
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I agree with this.

Just curious is a your water go through your skimmer before it goes into the sump?
No, i have an in sump skimmer that lives in the compartment in front of my bio balls and to the left of refuge. I believe i posted a picture... Let me know i will post a better. FYI when i turn on my skimmer it pulls more water to it obviously reducing the water going through the refuge and then the return pump. Which adds or takes away from the noise coming from the pump. Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is your overflow rated? and what is your pump rated?

I would try choking back your return pump just a little. If that doesn't work get a smaller rated pump. If you choke the pump back to much it will burn up the return pump.

It looks like your tank is drilled so making the overflow higher flow probably isn't likely.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
What is your overflow rated? and what is your pump rated?

I would try choking back your return pump just a little. If that doesn't work get a smaller rated pump. If you choke the pump back to much it will burn up the return pump.

It looks like your tank is drilled so making the overflow higher flow probably isn't likely.
What do you mean by choke back the pump? I have since adjusted my drain line and added a sock. I also added a sponge in the last wall of sump to help with micro bubble. I have not added the ball valve yet but plan on it. The noise had reduced a lot. Still not flowing properly... I emailed the manufacturer bc its not on their site.
When i get the specs ill post. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just meant put a ball valve on the return line a couple feet from the pump. And slow the rerun flow down. But like I said if you slow it down too much it will shorten the life of your pump. Puts more stress on the motor.

You want your pump completely underwater. From the pics it looks like it drawing air because the top is exposed.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It was mentioned earlier but I'd like to say it again. You shouldn't put a ball valve directly inline with the return pump. That will shorten the life of the pump. Instead put a t branching off of the return and a ball valve after the t that way the return pump is allowed to always be wide open and you can blow off the excess water back into the sump. Much less stressful for the pump.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

What size is the supply and return at its largest point. What size tank?

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com