If you notice my return has plenty of micro bubbles in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't bother with a ball valve on the return. Why people are suggesting that is unclear to me, but you need to fill that last return section up so the pump is submerged. It will not overflow the main tank. Restricting the flow is not going to do anything, except slow the flow to your sump. The levels will not change.

Thanks! I will try this tomorrow because of your confidence sir!

Yeah the water is going through the sump, bio ball, refugium and sponge back to the return pump. The flow is moving too slow through the sump to keep the pump submerged fully. He says he filled with water and the back chamber fills up in the sump. So if you restrict your return water it will give the front chamber time to fill up instead of staying half full.

Exactly! Can we post vids?

This sounds like either the drain from the overflow has a problem or the return pump is just to large. Yu need to use the largest drain tube from the overflow to the sump that the bulkhead can handle. If it's a 1" bulkhead for the drain line you want to have 1" tubing to drain into the sump and it should be as unobstructed as possible.

If the drain is setup properly then the return pump may just be to large. That could overwhelm your overflow. That's why people are recommending you divert some of the return flow back into the sump.

The leak is a serious issue. Don't try to fix it with flex seal or anything else. Just replace the bulkhead or if the system is new call the manufacturer and ask for a replacement if slight hand tightening doesn't stop the leak. If the bulkhead is threaded you may have just forgot to use Teflon tape at the connection. If it's a slip fitting you need to use aquarium safe PVC sealant to connect the pipe.

Thanks!

I would kill both pumps (return and skimmer) fill sump to a few inches below the brim, and turn both pumps back on. Mark the level in the return chamber. That would be the working water level. As long as the pump is submerged go with it. Top off as necessary and be done with micro bubbles.

Yeah i was afraid to do it until i questioned those with experience. Thanks a bunch man

There should not be anything in your sump design to restrict water flow. Remove whatever is doing that.

Thanks bro! I applied all that i have learned and the flow is much much better. My pump is fully submerged. Literally tweaked all areas of my sump. Ill post pictures as soon ad i can! Btw i can see why ball valves are a great addition. I plan to add one in the future...i have a brand new set of questions lol. Thanks to everyone!

Ronald Marcelo said:
I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Well, honestly the best thing I can suggest is to get a good book on reef tanks. I know online resources are great but having a step by step guide to all the basics with pictures! is a great thing to have on hand. YouTube also has a lot of fairly useful how to vids.

Well, honestly the best thing I can suggest is to get a good book on reef tanks. I know online resources are great but having a step by step guide to all the basics with pictures! is a great thing to have on hand. YouTube also has a lot of fairly useful how to vids.

True! I own two books the marine aquarium encyclopedia and another i cant remember the name but great resources. On youtube i watch videos by mr saltwaterfishtank. Still, i love to question and find out more opinions then make my final decision. I too recommend these videos but if you're anything like me then you will make sure you weigh all options before making the next chess move. Nysteelo has good vids too. I think thats how he spells it.

Reading is great for saltwater. I like mr saltwater as well. I get his emails every now and then. I find the best info is sites like this and local reef sites. I'm a member of two local clubs and here of course and the peopl have so much experience. I'd say to ask any question you can come up with. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Reading is great for saltwater. I like mr saltwater as well. I get his emails every now and then. I find the best info is sites like this and local reef sites. I'm a member of two local clubs and here of course and the peopl have so much experience. I'd say to ask any question you can come up with. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

I have to enroll in a local forum and site as well but in time. I did not feel the urge to get into forums and just ask away without learning and trying first. I agree with you, i ask because if i don't, i wouldn't feel like i tried enough. Mr. Saltwater has some great videos on just about anything but we all know as good as he is... That's just one mans point of view. I subscribe to his channel. What are his emails about? Are they anything like his friday quick tips?

The good thing about local forums is you can usually find equipment and stock for cheap locally

Yep it's terrible advice Tuesday and his Friday tips. There is so much equipment on local forums it's crazy. I look through them often to find that great deal on something I don't need. I think I'm addicted....

The good thing about local forums is you can usually find equipment and stock for cheap locally

Yes networking! And i would like to be able to buy fish that could out grow my tank knowing fully in advance that it will have a nice home when we have to part ways.

New pictures showing my water levels. The water is a bit more cloudy than it was this morning when i woke up because i used a wooden stick i especially cleaned with RO DI water and only use for the tank to make the bed. It appears to move a lot. Still tweaking my flow but it is 100% times better thanks to you all! If you can see the plastic clothes hanger that i placed in my sump... It holds my drain hose, skimmer and skimmer tube in place. It works great... Lol

I will post the before and after videos on my youtube tonight. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks fellas again!

Btw i want to add another inch of water... Should i?

Attachments

• image-3994420958.jpg
    image-3994420958.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1029433620.jpg
    image-1029433620.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1435708799.jpg
    image-1435708799.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom