If you notice my return has plenty of micro bubbles in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope it settles down. The finer it is the more it will move in a current. Sand is a PITA.

Haha thanks dude. It looked beautiful this morning so im thinking it will be ok. I have read the horror stories about fine sand, deep sand beds and sand in general. There are pros and cons to it all. Im focusing on the pros.

How old is your setup? What are you looking to stock?

Today is five days... Woohoo. I have gone back and fourth about what live stock i want. I know I've read stories about an inch of fish per gallon and many other similar theories. I do know that great skimmer, staying on top of it. Great flow, knowledge, RO DI water etc... Helps disprove the one inch per gallon rule. I am starting FOWLR for first 6 month to a year. I'm hoping to give myself a passing grade bc ultimately i want fish and corals (which ill start with soft). Idk my fav fish are blue hippo tangs but that will be in time bc i cannot keep it forever. I also like the foxface angel, plenty of gobys (gobbies), clown, i also like inverts like hermit crabs and cleaner shrimps (these are a must have for me)... How about you?

That stocking rule does not work well. I suggest putting together a list and get feedback here. You should get solid feedback.

In my experience, getting fish that will outgrow your tank is a bad idea. If you look at all the stories of fish with problems on here, nine out of ten are fish that were put into tanks that were smaller than suggested. The fact that "it's really tiny now" does not seem to matter. There are always exceptions, but I'm not into taking chances like that.

That stocking rule does not work well. I suggest putting together a list and get feedback here. You should get solid feedback.

In my experience, getting fish that will outgrow your tank is a bad idea. If you look at all the stories of fish with problems on here, nine out of ten are fish that were put into tanks that were smaller than suggested. The fact that "it's really tiny now" does not seem to matter. There are always exceptions, but I'm not into taking chances like that.

Well said my friend, i will compose a list for sure and check back here. Hopefully getting back great constructive feedback. I am not saying i will buy fish that will out grow my tank. I am saying, i have ideas that unless i know the fish will be safe and in a good home, i wont make the move. Example: i have a co worker who has a 90 gallon reef tank with great fish. He is currently working on a 180gallon for his basement. He has already told me that he would take in a blue hippo tang, even if i can only enjoy it for a year. I have not looked into fish growth yet but trust that i will. Keep in mind that my plan is to succeed with zero casualties...However we are human. All the best. I have slight ocd... Lol

My point with something like a Hippo Tang is that it is generally accepted that a six foot aquarium gives them ample room to cruise around. The idea of putting a tiny one on a smaller tank will very likely lead to problems. You rarely see stories of "my yellow/sailfin/hippo tang has ich/problems" when they are in a 120 or larger. You see those posts daily when they are in smaller tanks. Will it kill the Fish? Probably not. Are problems guaranteed? No, there are always people that beat the odds.

I'm really not trying to be the tang police. I do, however, try to point out potential problems and try to persuade people to reconsider before making what is likely going to be a mistake. I just hate seeing all the "my fish died" stories.

Glad to see you are willing to listen though. :). Give a list, follow suggestions and you are much more likely to have a happy bunch of fish.

I'd just like to add that I had a powder brown tang in my 125( 6 footer) and he was constantly (and I mean constantly) all over the tank. He also had no problems with heckling and following other fish. Id hate to see one in a smaller tank. I also think of it this way. The 6 ft of swim room not only allows the tangs to swim freely, but it also gives your other fish a chance to get away from the tang

My point with something like a Hippo Tang is that it is generally accepted that a six foot aquarium gives them ample room to cruise around. The idea of putting a tiny one on a smaller tank will very likely lead to problems. You rarely see stories of "my yellow/sailfin/hippo tang has ich/problems" when they are in a 120 or larger. You see those posts daily when they are in smaller tanks. Will it kill the Fish? Probably not. Are problems guaranteed? No, there are always people that beat the odds.

I'm really not trying to be the tang police. I do, however, try to point out potential problems and try to persuade people to reconsider before making what is likely going to be a mistake. I just hate seeing all the "my fish died" stories.

Glad to see you are willing to listen though. :). Give a list, follow suggestions and you are much more likely to have a happy bunch of fish.

Thanks! Appreciate the advice fellas. I wont risk it for the life of the fish. I have no experience and understand that the only way to take your hands off the wheel and still know how to drive well, takes tons of practice. The confidence and the know how to diagnose a fish etc...would be essential in trying this. I guess I was thinking if the master plan. Muhahahaha

I'd just like to add that I had a powder brown tang in my 125( 6 footer) and he was constantly (and I mean constantly) all over the tank. He also had no problems with heckling and following other fish. Id hate to see one in a smaller tank. I also think of it this way. The 6 ft of swim room not only allows the tangs to swim freely, but it also gives your other fish a chance to get away from the tang

Right on! Thanks
Something to shoot for!

Ronald Marcelo said:
Thanks! Appreciate the advice fellas. I wont risk it for the life of the fish. I have no experience and understand that the only way to take your hands off the wheel and still know how to drive well, takes tons of practice. The confidence and the know how to diagnose a fish etc...would be essential in trying this. I guess I was thinking if the master plan. Muhahahaha

You just gained a level! Asking questions, listening to experienced reef gurus, and altering your plan to ensure success always always gains you XP... and respect among other reef keepers.

So in five days you have probably gotten the idea to upgrade. Welcome my friend. This is a very addicting hobby. I went from a 40 to a 90 to a 125 I'm building. All in less then 2 years. Also the reason for the 125 is tangs. Those are some BA fish.

So in five days you have probably gotten the idea to upgrade. Welcome my friend. This is a very addicting hobby. I went from a 40 to a 90 to a 125 I'm building. All in less then 2 years. Also the reason for the 125 is tangs. Those are some BA fish.

Haha so funny! Yes, you kind of hit the nail on the head on that one. Thanks for having me. Iv'e read a lot of posts on this forum and found good advice. I hope to return that favor someday.

My tank after one week. I did a 10% water change on Saturday. I also cleaned out the bio balls and protein skimmer. The water is still cloudy, should i wait until next week to water change? Can i do it tomorrow? I noticed the water became real cloudy after I removed the bio balls. They were soaked in white stuff... It didn't take long for the tank to clear up to its current state. Is that sand floating or that white stuff? Difficult to tell. My salinity has been 1.023 for 3 days now and temp at 78-79. I could not find any ammonia at the local petland. Can anyone recommend a brand? Thanks.

If i confused you, sorry.

Attachments

• image-3396997277.jpg
    image-3396997277.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3728003147.jpg
    image-3728003147.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2505051326.jpg
    image-2505051326.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 64
My only input... in regards to you asking about adding more water. Make sure that you have some wiggle room. Leave a good 2" (my opinion of course) in the sump when everything is shut down (and has been for a bit) so that you won't have to worry about it overflowing in the event of a power outage.

My only input... in regards to you asking about adding more water. Make sure that you have some wiggle room. Leave a good 2" (my opinion of course) in the sump when everything is shut down (and has been for a bit) so that you won't have to worry about it overflowing in the event of a power outage.

Yup 2 inches for sure. This was saturday before the water change. Thanks again

Attachments

• image-2115521191.jpg
    image-2115521191.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
You said the bio balls had white stuff on them? Does your pump have the same stuff on it? I'd guess the sand is the culprit. How well did you rinse it before putting it in? I'm glad to see no more bubbles. :)

You said the bio balls had white stuff on them? Does your pump have the same stuff on it? I'd guess the sand is the culprit. How well did you rinse it before putting it in? I'm glad to see no more bubbles. :)

Hey! I didn't rinse my sand :(. i rinsed out my filters, bio balls and skimmer again today. adjusted my return to see if the sand settles a bit better (I've tried several combinations). I removed a lot of white stuff again but it's much clearer! I am getting my live rock Wed. Will this help? Should I use tetra safe start? Or should i buy a few damsel to cycle the tank? Btw thanks to everyone, no more flow issues. :)
Now about this sand... Lol

Back
Top Bottom