Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hope it settles down. The finer it is the more it will move in a current. Sand is a PITA.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
I hope it settles down. The finer it is the more it will move in a current. Sand is a PITA.
Haha thanks dude. It looked beautiful this morning so im thinking it will be ok. I have read the horror stories about fine sand, deep sand beds and sand in general. There are pros and cons to it all. Im focusing on the pros.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old is your setup? What are you looking to stock?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
How old is your setup? What are you looking to stock?
Today is five days... Woohoo. I have gone back and fourth about what live stock i want. I know I've read stories about an inch of fish per gallon and many other similar theories. I do know that great skimmer, staying on top of it. Great flow, knowledge, RO DI water etc... Helps disprove the one inch per gallon rule. I am starting FOWLR for first 6 month to a year. I'm hoping to give myself a passing grade bc ultimately i want fish and corals (which ill start with soft). Idk my fav fish are blue hippo tangs but that will be in time bc i cannot keep it forever. I also like the foxface angel, plenty of gobys (gobbies), clown, i also like inverts like hermit crabs and cleaner shrimps (these are a must have for me)... How about you?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

That stocking rule does not work well. I suggest putting together a list and get feedback here. You should get solid feedback.

In my experience, getting fish that will outgrow your tank is a bad idea. If you look at all the stories of fish with problems on here, nine out of ten are fish that were put into tanks that were smaller than suggested. The fact that "it's really tiny now" does not seem to matter. There are always exceptions, but I'm not into taking chances like that.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
That stocking rule does not work well. I suggest putting together a list and get feedback here. You should get solid feedback.

In my experience, getting fish that will outgrow your tank is a bad idea. If you look at all the stories of fish with problems on here, nine out of ten are fish that were put into tanks that were smaller than suggested. The fact that "it's really tiny now" does not seem to matter. There are always exceptions, but I'm not into taking chances like that.
Well said my friend, i will compose a list for sure and check back here. Hopefully getting back great constructive feedback. I am not saying i will buy fish that will out grow my tank. I am saying, i have ideas that unless i know the fish will be safe and in a good home, i wont make the move. Example: i have a co worker who has a 90 gallon reef tank with great fish. He is currently working on a 180gallon for his basement. He has already told me that he would take in a blue hippo tang, even if i can only enjoy it for a year. I have not looked into fish growth yet but trust that i will. Keep in mind that my plan is to succeed with zero casualties...However we are human. All the best. I have slight ocd... Lol
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

My point with something like a Hippo Tang is that it is generally accepted that a six foot aquarium gives them ample room to cruise around. The idea of putting a tiny one on a smaller tank will very likely lead to problems. You rarely see stories of "my yellow/sailfin/hippo tang has ich/problems" when they are in a 120 or larger. You see those posts daily when they are in smaller tanks. Will it kill the Fish? Probably not. Are problems guaranteed? No, there are always people that beat the odds.

I'm really not trying to be the tang police. I do, however, try to point out potential problems and try to persuade people to reconsider before making what is likely going to be a mistake. I just hate seeing all the "my fish died" stories.

Glad to see you are willing to listen though. . Give a list, follow suggestions and you are much more likely to have a happy bunch of fish.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd just like to add that I had a powder brown tang in my 125( 6 footer) and he was constantly (and I mean constantly) all over the tank. He also had no problems with heckling and following other fish. Id hate to see one in a smaller tank. I also think of it this way. The 6 ft of swim room not only allows the tangs to swim freely, but it also gives your other fish a chance to get away from the tang
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
My point with something like a Hippo Tang is that it is generally accepted that a six foot aquarium gives them ample room to cruise around. The idea of putting a tiny one on a smaller tank will very likely lead to problems. You rarely see stories of "my yellow/sailfin/hippo tang has ich/problems" when they are in a 120 or larger. You see those posts daily when they are in smaller tanks. Will it kill the Fish? Probably not. Are problems guaranteed? No, there are always people that beat the odds.

I'm really not trying to be the tang police. I do, however, try to point out potential problems and try to persuade people to reconsider before making what is likely going to be a mistake. I just hate seeing all the "my fish died" stories.

Glad to see you are willing to listen though. . Give a list, follow suggestions and you are much more likely to have a happy bunch of fish.
Thanks! Appreciate the advice fellas. I wont risk it for the life of the fish. I have no experience and understand that the only way to take your hands off the wheel and still know how to drive well, takes tons of practice. The confidence and the know how to diagnose a fish etc...would be essential in trying this. I guess I was thinking if the master plan. Muhahahaha
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
I'd just like to add that I had a powder brown tang in my 125( 6 footer) and he was constantly (and I mean constantly) all over the tank. He also had no problems with heckling and following other fish. Id hate to see one in a smaller tank. I also think of it this way. The 6 ft of swim room not only allows the tangs to swim freely, but it also gives your other fish a chance to get away from the tang
Right on! Thanks
Something to shoot for!

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com