If you notice my return has plenty of micro bubbles in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronald Marcelo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, i have a few noob questions... Thanks in advance! I took pictures of my sump water levels and overflow levels. If you notice my return has plenty of micro bubbles in it. How can i reduce that 10 fold? Should i have more water in my sump? I added more RO DI water directly in to pump compartment and it reduced the micro bubbles and noise. However my overflow area is about two inches from topping off. Im stable but my concern is proper flow and adding to much water. Should i increase the flow coming into the sump? due to an L shaped piping the overflow came with, It bends the tubing slightly obstructing it's flow. My protein skimmer is set to 0" at the moment. when i set it to 6"(max) the bubbles do not reach over into the collection cup anymore. It did at first... Thanks again!

Attachments

• image-303798496.jpg
    image-303798496.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1175223138.jpg
    image-1175223138.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 139
  • image-4232446698.jpg
    image-4232446698.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3072973221.jpg
    image-3072973221.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image-635284917.jpg
    image-635284917.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image-867352262.jpg
    image-867352262.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 103
I am looking at this on my phone so the photo is pretty small but it looks like the pumps are not submerged, if that is the case than that is probably the source of the bubbles (you probably already knew that though) I would say you need to either increase the flow into the sump or reduce the flow from the pump so they will remain under water.

I agree with mink. Also id look at putting a sponge between the 3rd and 4th chamber walls. Should help with microbubbles

I am looking at this on my phone so the photo is pretty small but it looks like the pumps are not submerged, if that is the case than that is probably the source of the bubbles (you probably already knew that though) I would say you need to either increase the flow into the sump or reduce the flow from the pump so they will remain under water.

Thanks Minkota! I am investing in a sock for the drain tube and a PVC ball valve for the return tube. I also was wondering if i can submerge it somehow? I'm in a catch 22... If i add 2 more inches of water my overflow will reach the se level as my tank water. And i don't see that being a good thing. Should i add my ball valve to the return line sump end or overflow end? Thanks again to the both of you.

It is better to restrict the flow back into the tank than restrict the flow to your pumps

That's a big 10-4. Apparently after 9-11, the sell of PVC ball valves are forbidden in the downtown area of manhattan, where i work. I am going to ebay it but first i'm waiting for a reply from the manufacturer on measurements of my pipe fittings and return hose.

Yeah you def will want to install a t-valve on your return line. On the end of the t-valve(the end flowing back to the dump), install the ball valve. Simply open or close the valve to meet the flow you need. Also I'd like to add that you should only run your sump/ refugium at 50% water level. Reason being is if you have a power failure or your pump, you don't want the tank to overflow from the backflip of water. Easiest way to establish your limit is simply measure your water level while running, then shut it down, let it fill up till it stops, then measure again. The difference in heights will be how far down from the edge you'll want to run your waterline. If its confusing I'll explain it like this. My refugium water line moves up about 4 inches when I shut my pump down, therefore I need to keep my waterline atleast 4" down from the edge when my pumps on.

You don't want to restrict your return pump to much.

Or just get a smaller pump (less gph), or make the syphon tube/pipe bigger

I agree with this.

Just curious is a your water go through your skimmer before it goes into the sump?

Yeah you def will want to install a t-valve on your return line. On the end of the t-valve(the end flowing back to the dump), install the ball valve. Simply open or close the valve to meet the flow you need. Also I'd like to add that you should only run your sump/ refugium at 50% water level. Reason being is if you have a power failure or your pump, you don't want the tank to overflow from the backflip of water. Easiest way to establish your limit is simply measure your water level while running, then shut it down, let it fill up till it stops, then measure again. The difference in heights will be how far down from the edge you'll want to run your waterline. If its confusing I'll explain it like this. My refugium water line moves up about 4 inches when I shut my pump down, therefore I need to keep my waterline atleast 4" down from the edge when my pumps on.

Thanks Huma, i definitely have thought about the 50% water level in the sump to have a "just incase" backup. I will apply your testing technique as soon as i wake up from some rest. In addition, i will install the valve. Thanks man

Or just get a smaller pump (less gph), or make the syphon tube/pipe bigger

I will definitely consider this... Whats a good gph for my tank? What would be overkill?
What will i be earning by making the return tube bigger? I know the plan is to reduce micro bubbles and reduce that return pump noise as well as create a good proper flow. But how?
Thanks a million...

I agree with this.

Just curious is a your water go through your skimmer before it goes into the sump?

No, i have an in sump skimmer that lives in the compartment in front of my bio balls and to the left of refuge. I believe i posted a picture... Let me know i will post a better. FYI when i turn on my skimmer it pulls more water to it obviously reducing the water going through the refuge and then the return pump. Which adds or takes away from the noise coming from the pump. Thanks

What is your overflow rated? and what is your pump rated?

I would try choking back your return pump just a little. If that doesn't work get a smaller rated pump. If you choke the pump back to much it will burn up the return pump.

It looks like your tank is drilled so making the overflow higher flow probably isn't likely.

What is your overflow rated? and what is your pump rated?

I would try choking back your return pump just a little. If that doesn't work get a smaller rated pump. If you choke the pump back to much it will burn up the return pump.

It looks like your tank is drilled so making the overflow higher flow probably isn't likely.

What do you mean by choke back the pump? I have since adjusted my drain line and added a sock. I also added a sponge in the last wall of sump to help with micro bubble. I have not added the ball valve yet but plan on it. The noise had reduced a lot. Still not flowing properly... I emailed the manufacturer bc its not on their site. :(
When i get the specs ill post. Thanks!

I just meant put a ball valve on the return line a couple feet from the pump. And slow the rerun flow down. But like I said if you slow it down too much it will shorten the life of your pump. Puts more stress on the motor.

You want your pump completely underwater. From the pics it looks like it drawing air because the top is exposed.

It was mentioned earlier but I'd like to say it again. You shouldn't put a ball valve directly inline with the return pump. That will shorten the life of the pump. Instead put a t branching off of the return and a ball valve after the t that way the return pump is allowed to always be wide open and you can blow off the excess water back into the sump. Much less stressful for the pump.

Back
Top Bottom