Im currently looking at adding another fish but not completely sure which route to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 fowlr that's stocked as follows
1-black volitan lionfish (5-6)
1-niger trigger (6)
1 Picasso trigger(5-6)
1 powder brown tang(5-6)
1 green spot puffer(4)
1 MaY clown (4-5)
1 engineer goby (9-10)
1 harlequin tusk (2-3)
Im currently looking at adding another fish but not completely sure which route to go. So I've narrowed ot down to a few fish and need some input. The choices are between the following
Adult b&w purcula(3)
Picasso clown (3ish)
Leaf fish (3)
Emperor snapper(4-5)
Emperor angel(4)
I know my current MaY clown is prob the most aggressive clown breed, but he's pretty big size wise, so would getting an obviously smaller clown work out? Or should I sell my current clown and open up the possibility for a new pair? Or just forget getting another clown? The leaffish is a bit small but is toxic and also well camo'd so I think the others wont bother him. The snapper... perfect fit to hold his own among the others ...except his insane size potential. The emperor angel im worried s'not being a delicate eater.... any input would be much appreciated:) specifically if I could get input from someone that's owned an emperor snapper. Wanna know if they will truly grow to 2.5 feet. Also the numbers in () are size in inches of that fish

Wow I don't think you can add any more fish.. You might want to let some fishes go in the future.

Awesome stock list. Hopefully get my predator tank up and running soon.,excited. Never seen a leaf fish. Have to check it out. Gl

Wow...You have 35 inches of fish in a 125g which is about 3.5g per fish, and most of those fish aren't even full grown! (i.e. the triggers, tang, clown, tusk)

As far as your additions, the only ones that would be safe in that tank would be the snapper or the angel. Those b&w or picasso clowns would be short lived :(

I personally would not add any more fish and you should consider upgrading your tank or cutting back. Those fish are gonna have traffic jams when they are full grown in there lol.

**Please educate as to how I need to practice what I preach...because I sure would like to know** (quote from another thread)

You should do more research. I'm not trying to be mean. Just don't jump on other people, if you are making the same mistakes. I'm iffy on putting 8 fish in a 350g let alone a 125g, especially when all the fish will eventually get between 6 to 12 inches. That's why someone else suggested you getting rid of some in the future. I'm just giving friendly advice. I've made my mistakes too :)

I just added up the lengths of the fish i have in my 125g and it 34 inches total. I don't feel overstocked in the least. I never thought to measure em but now you have me thinking....Do you think I can't anymore fish either? I was planning on adding maybe 3 more fish...

carey said:
I just added up the lengths of the fish i have in my 125g and it 34 inches total. I don't feel overstocked in the least. I never thought to measure em but now you have me thinking....Do you think I can't anymore fish either? I was planning on adding maybe 3 more fish...

But do yours have a huge potential growth. If not, id say you could.

yellow tang-4 inches
blue tang- 4inches
tomini tang-4inches
squareback anthias-5"
4 blue reef chromis total= 8 inches
blenny- 3 inches
watchman goby- 4 inches
clowns- 2 @ 2 inches- 4" total
Does that help?

Yeah, Brent has some huge fish! LOL... all4wheels, I see your point, but you have to also account for rock. Less rock = more room, correct? I'm no expert and I know my 90 is overloaded until I get my 125g up, but idk, if the fish aren't fighting or look stressed, isn't it more of a personal preference? (These are meant as questions, not criticism)

Kio707 said:
Yeah, Brent has some huge fish! LOL... all4wheels, I see your point, but you have to also account for rock. Less rock = more room, correct? I'm no expert and I know my 90 is overloaded until I get my 125g up, but idk, if the fish aren't fighting or look stressed, isn't it more of a personal preference? (These are meant as questions, not criticism)

Agreed. However, less rock also means less filtration.

Almost all of humu-humu's fish are going to double in size within a few years. Only a few of Carey's fish will double.

But by all means, if they aren't stressed or fighting, then roll with it. And the same can be said to the guy with the two triggers and two puffers in a 55g - if they aren't fighting and aren't stressed, then they're good, right?

I'm not trying to start verbal fights lol, I'm just noticing people don't use the same standards for themselves as they set for others :(

I see your point. I'm not familiar with all the fish anyways, so my opinion isn't truth based, just trying to look at both sides of the conversation. And your right, I have done things I've told others not to, but I told them not to because I had to learn the dumb way by doing it, now I gotta deal with the problem. Where in Colorado are you?

I see your point. I'm not familiar with all the fish anyways, so my opinion isn't truth based, just trying to look at both sides of the conversation. And your right, I have done things I've told others not to, but I told them not to because I had to learn the dumb way by doing it, now I gotta deal with the problem. Where in Colorado are you?

I made mistakes too. I put 2 tangs in a 40g - Carey got me for that one lol. Bad, bad, bad on my part. And they both died :( But I did learn a valuable lesson :)

Oh..I'm up in Fort Collins (northern Colorado).

I made mistakes too. I put 2 tangs in a 40g - Carey got me for that one lol. Bad, bad, bad on my part. And they both died :( But I did learn a valuable lesson :)

Oh..I'm up in Fort Collins (northern Colorado).

K, I'm in the springs.

carey said:
yellow tang-4 inches
blue tang- 4inches
tomini tang-4inches
squareback anthias-5"
4 blue reef chromis total= 8 inches
blenny- 3 inches
watchman goby- 4 inches
clowns- 2 @ 2 inches- 4" total
Does that help?

Looks nice:) what fish do you want to add? If they were small, imo youd be good!

I do "practice what I preach"... and you don't know the adult size of the fish im housing so im not sure as to how im overcrowding my tank.

Kio707 said:

Lol imma grow monster fish and release them on the world while screaming "release the kraken!!"

IMHO i would have to agree that adding another fish to your tank would be pushing it...I actually think your a little overstocked as well ...
I used to think a 125 was huge and i could house anything i wanted in one but even with your current stock i think an upgrade is inevitable ..

Ohh a 280 or 300 is already being planned out for down the road. Just don't appreciate when comments are made on an uneducated or half-educated basis

Back
Top Bottom