Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm Moving!

In about two months I will be moving. It will only be about 20 miles away, but it still poses big problems with my tank. I have a 55 gallon established tank. I am wondering what everyone thinks is the best way for me to do this. Thank you in advance for all of your help. I am new to this site but have already learned so much.

Keith

Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what do you have in your tank? and will you be overlapping your stay at each house?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

PI??? Im actually at Camp Lejeune. Thanks for your help. I have live sand and about 30 pounds of live rock right now. As far as fish, I have a Maroon Clown, three blue damselfish, an Orchid Dottyback, and a Zebra Dart Goby. I also have a carpet anemone that I am trying to get my clown to go to. I will probably have a few weeks at the new house. I am just moving into staff housing from out in town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well Im actually going to Camp Pendleton. But for you it wont be that bad. When I moved off base housing I took out half my water and put it in a clean 30 gallon storage tub. Put the fish and LR in it and ran a cannister filter. I drained the rest of the water in buckets and lewft the sand in my 55gal. After getting the fifty five gal setup at my new house I put the water back in from the buckets, let it run until it was clear, then bagged the fish, and syphoned the water from the storage container back into the 55 with a powerhead. After wards I floated the bags and I was good. I ve said it before, but reefing is not the best hobby in the military, but its hard to get away from. good luck
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck with the move guys and thank you for your service.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasmarine View Post
well Im actually going to Camp Pendleton. But for you it wont be that bad. When I moved off base housing I took out half my water and put it in a clean 30 gallon storage tub. Put the fish and LR in it and ran a cannister filter. I drained the rest of the water in buckets and lewft the sand in my 55gal. After getting the fifty five gal setup at my new house I put the water back in from the buckets, let it run until it was clear, then bagged the fish, and syphoned the water from the storage container back into the 55 with a powerhead. After wards I floated the bags and I was good. I ve said it before, but reefing is not the best hobby in the military, but its hard to get away from. good luck
Seconded, moving sucks...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

bump
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

only thing i might do different is keep the lr and the fish separate. i wouldnt want a piece of it sliding around during the move and hurting the already stressed out fish.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah i would use as large of a storage comtainer as you could find,and fill it with your tank water, except leave water at the bottom for the fish to swim. put all of your live rock into the water filled storage container. then use another smaller container and put tank water in that and then plop the fish into there. like fisheggs said, live rock can easily kill fish while it is moved, so you want to keep them seperate. take both of the containers to the new house. bring the tank. put the fish, water that you brought, live rock, and all that stuff back into the tank. done.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh the anxiety!! I have to deal with this this weekend. Thank God Im having my LFS do it...

Tags
moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com