Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I ordered it from reef specialty and thats what the box said was extreme 12 inch up to 400g capacity. Judging the size of it, at first glance I would think it would be for a pond. It is huge. Any guess on the whole pink diatom theory.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just another aspect I see is that`s a pretty big bioload for just 4 months. That where alot of your excessive nutrients are coming from. Not enough nitrifying bacteria for that size load.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went through a small diatom bloom when I changed my lighting system From T-5 HO to T-5 VHO and it went away by itself. Don't panic and just take one step at a time. I would really slow down your feeding. And yes, pink is just a lighter shade of brown and is more then likely caused by the K values of your lights.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

all the fish and everything came from my 75g. While the tank was cycling the ammonia shot up to 4ppm(extreme die-off apparently) after ammonia and nitrite hit zero and I showed around 20 nitrate. I changed 100g of water and in the fish and inverts went. I kept the 75 running for around 2 weeks in case anything went haywire. I tested twice a day and never saw ammonia or nitrite, and my nitrate has never went above 10 since I added the 2 fuges and the sump. Before, the nitrates hung around 20. I wish I still had my camera to show you guys pictures of it.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I started turning the lights back on 8hrs a day yesterday and here come the brown diatoms again, although this time they don't look to be anywhere as significant as the previous arrivals. I already see the pink sections(dusty looking and feeling) in the sand. Thistime, I'm gonna let it ride and see what happens. Still getting the usual zero's on the pwc and top off water and on the tank itself plus 10 or less on nitrates. Man the first few months to a year are a pain. My cichlid tank is nowhere near the headache as this tank is. I haven't had any catastrophies yet but going through the ugly begginnings bites.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com