Improve plumbing in 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
u3y9apap.jpg
wet dry and my overflow and return
ygagyha6.jpg
I got my 90 gallon tank off of Craig's list and I'm currently cycling it but then I realized how crappy of plumbing is on it and was wondering if there was anyway to improve that. Maybe adding a sump?

Its only a fish only tank and I'm fixing my protein skimmer Noe

IMO id run hardline for everything, and avoid 90 degree elbows if at all possible. you can run the heater in the sump as well.

So run a PVC straight to the intake on the wet dry

Also a lot of water goes into the overflow through the cutout for the return nozzle. Would a spray pipe instead help this or give the live rock better flow?

just attach pvc to the bulkhead, and make appropriate bends where needed. but try to use 45's instead of 90's. and I wouldn't worry about the cutout for the return nozzle. you are gonna get a lil flow thru there no matter what

What's so wrong with 90 degree elbows?

And ive been reading up on the wet dry filter nitrate factory thing and should I take out my bio balls now during the cycle or just leave them in there?

I only use a protein skimmer and live rock and water quality has stayed very good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a light in the sump for the live rock?

Where the bio balls are currently what should I put there if I did remove them

i personally believe that you COULD run bioballs, however, unless you are able to keep all 100% of them in a consistant waterflow, I find them highly inefficient. running live rock rubble as mentioned is a good idea

exactly, not to mention that they need to be "wet" to actually grow BB, any part or entire bioball that's not touched by water is simply taking up space.

Does it matter what kind of light is in the sump on the live rock

So I am defiantly going to take out my bio balls so should I leave the drip plate on and let the water drip into the empty area? Or put something there instead

Just remove about 20% of bio balls at a time so you don't remove all that bb at once. You could place live rock rubble in place of bio balls. I've ran into same scenario when I set my system up and never had a crash, so you should be fine. Just remember everything done in a reef should be done slow. Happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom