Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

In dog house over clowns, Please help.

My wife spent the weekend at her grandmothers, so I could have the weekly card game here. One of the guy brought a clownfish & a feather duster for our tank. It and our mated pair are getting along. She had a fit over it. She seperated them and plans to take it to the lfs tomarrow and trade it for something else. Can someone tell me why she hit the roof? And how long should our mated pair be in a Q. tank before I can make her put them in the big tank?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Alright let me get this right you have 2 mated pair of clowns that are already establish in the tank., and your friend brought another clown and put it in there with them... If so depending on what type of clown it is they may fight with each other especially if it's two against one...... I am not to sure about it but I know that if there are 2 different kind of Clowns they will fight for sure.... Depending on the size of the tank they could co-exist if your tank has enough room for all three... But that would be maybe 100+ gallons or more or if you have about a 6 foot long tank..... but that could be a reason why she is flippin out MAN.....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK... a little reading between the lines here but let me give this a try...

Sounds like the mated pair are still in a quarantine tank. Correct? If so, then the very fact that something new has been introduced to the quarantine means the clock gets reset back to zero before they can be moved into the main tank. In other words, if the mated pair were in there 2 weeks out of a 4 week quarantine time... then you just set yourself back 2 weeks because you now have to wait 4 weeks again to make sure no illness has been introduced. Basic rule for quarantine is that you have no change in inhabitants for the entire time of your quarantine period.

The other issue may be that introducing a "third wheel" to a mated pair could really throw the existing relationship out of whack. Especially if the pair truly weren't mated to start with.

Personally... I probably would've had a fit over it too! But I can kind of see you were in a bind... what do you do when your buddy brings over a clownfish? "Friends" bearing gifts for your tank can be a really really bad thing sometimes.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tell me about it... my buddy while house sitting decided to buy a snowflake eel for my FOWLR.. it ate most of my clowns...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Kurt. 3 Clowns not a good idea.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Knowing peoples luck she was prolly on the end of the fourth week Q time!!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

The quarantine would have ended on the first. Now 3rd Sat in Oct. The worst part is the little critters she seen last night. Theres little white things swimming and crawling on the glass. Their too tiny to take a picture. I'm posting more details on another post.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most likely copepods.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with Kurt

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com