In-the-ground, 500 gallon aquarium fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

normandaviso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am installing a 500 gallon fish tank in the Florida Keys. The tank is 4'x4'x4' and I need to know how many gallons per hour I should pump.
I will be pumping and retuning directly into the Ocean.

I'm very interested in how the tank is going in ground and why? Keep us posted. I'm sure a lot of people are going to tell you its a bad idea to pump in ocean water. Welcome to AA!

I am not sure why you would bother with such an expensive project for just 500g unless you do not have room in your house or you plan to make a side panel that can be seen underground, to which I still don't see the point. Either way, the water should be prefiltered in several stages before returning to your tank. I would not have the return directly back to the ocean nor am I sure you would even be allowed.

In the ground tank

I'm very interested in how the tank is going in ground and why? Keep us posted. I'm sure a lot of people are going to tell you its a bad idea to pump in ocean water. Welcome to AA!
The tank is an existing precast waste water tank that is being abandoned because new sewer system is being installed. The tank is located about 20 feet from a deep water canal.

Why bother, Allowed?

I am not sure why you would bother with such an expensive project for just 500g unless you do not have room in your house or you plan to make a side panel that can be seen underground, to which I still don't see the point. Either way, the water should be prefiltered in several stages before returning to your tank. I would not have the return directly back to the ocean nor am I sure you would even be allowed.

We here on Geiger and Big Coppit Keys are required to abandon our existing septic tank for the new sewer system being installed. We are about 1000 homes with existing in the ground tanks and the cost of getting rid of the tanks are about $1000 each. We all live on the water and adjacent to deep water canals. It just seems to be a good idea to convert the tanks into salt water pools to keep critters in. I'll contact the DEP to see if it is legal.

I'll check with the DEP to see if there is a problem with circulating salt water from our manmade canal.

Hmmm...If this used to be a septic tank I would think there would be all kinds of "stuff" in it that would be harmful to both the ocean and anything living you put in it. I'm not sure how things are done in the Keys but here our septic tanks are cement, which means all kinds of stuff will have been absorbed by the material that could leach back out.

Septic Tank / Fish Tank

Hmmm...If this used to be a septic tank I would think there would be all kinds of "stuff" in it that would be harmful to both the ocean and anything living you put in it. I'm not sure how things are done in the Keys but here our septic tanks are cement, which means all kinds of stuff will have been absorbed by the material that could leach back out.
You are right, part of the $1000 costs is pumping, cleaning, testing, inspecting of the tank prior to filling with flowable concrete in the abandonment proceedures. I am also planning on a liner for the fish tank.
My big question is how many gallons per hour should I plan on for 500 gallon tank. Do you Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom