Increasing salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
The salinit in my 60 gal hex is a liitle low. Whats the simplest way to increase it accurately? Its currently at 1.020

Increase it slowly! The easiest way is to just add saltwater instead of fresh, for your top-offs. This way too, it is a gradual change.
Ohh, slowly only applies, if you have some stock already in the tank. If no stock then, take some water out, mix in some more salt, and add back to the tank. It might take a couple times, but a little at a time is best, so you don't go over with the salinity.

Yes, slowly is the key word. And my salinity is 1.024 due to the fact that I do regular water changes with premixed saltwater, but some times its a little higher really never lower. I have heard of tanks that have 1.022 salinity and everything is fine, I guess it depends on your stock, tank size, etc......

But I also think 1.020 is to low

Increase it slowly! The easiest way is to just add saltwater instead of fresh, for your top-offs. This way too, it is a gradual change.

This would be my suggestion also. This would be gradual and effective.

Back
Top Bottom