Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to hemmer Send a message via Yahoo to hemmer
info on base rock.

so i saw the post below about marco rocks base rock. and i decided to look at the shipping figuring it would be outragous but its a very good deal compared to buyin live rock only from the lfs. i now am planning on getting 25 lbs from them to bring me up to 55 lbs of rock in my 45 gallon tank. this stuff wont spike any levels will it? should i just stack my live rock on top of it and then it will also end up looking like live rock eventually? anybody have pics after theyve had it awhile?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have never used it but you will be OK. Just cure it with your LR as you cycle your tank. You`ll have a spike anyway as you cycle your tank. I think this is what you are asking.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

actually pretty much what i meant was that i already have fish and everthing and all my live rock in the tank is cured and ive had the tank going for 2 years now. i want to know if base rock is like cured rock. if i could just put it in anytime.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s not like cured rock as it has no beneficial bacteria on it. But it should have no dieoff on it so maybe a good washing and you can put it in the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use Marcos. It can have some organic waste trapped in side. It is the best rock in the industry imo.

Marc recommends a full cycle.

I let it sit overnight in RO-wash well-and in it goes.

Here is what a piece of the preium Fiji looks like I got. People say they like tp pick but this stuff is very POURUS and you can shape it, break it, do what you want.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
well i always get confused when buying rock on dead rock and base rock so often times its best to call them and make sure you know what your getting adding "dead" rock meaning in my mind rock thats been in sw just doesnt have living organisms on it, to an established tank isnt a very good idea. but base rock on the other hand is often just rocks companies make which if you ask me is the best thing for a established tank. not sure if that awnsers your question hope i helped
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Marcos rock is the best dry rock in the industry hands down. It is a huge amount for the weight, has a ton of surface area. 75 lbs is enough to fill an entire 90lb tank.

Marcos preium Fiji and Tonga use to be live so YES it does have some organics in ti but not much. All you need to do is let it sit over night in water with a cup of bleach.

Then rinse and fill another bucket/good to do with dechlor.

Then let it dry for a while. That is what I do, some others that deal with Marc just rinse it and plop and never had a problem. Once alive this is the best and cheapest around.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

will it always look like the picture above? or will it pretty much turn into live rock and look just like the cured rock you buy from the lfs?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

No. Seed it with a few lbs of LR(Which I think you already have) or with some LS. In a few months time it will become encrusted in coraline and will look real nice.

It will become premium LR.

And 25 lbs of Marcos is a good amount. You will have enough to fill your tank with what you already have.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
that rock is spectacular, and not to mention that marc is a great person too. if you have any questions about anything from him, he can usually help out. i have 30 lbs of base rock with 30 lbs of live rock right now in my tank. i just mixed in with each other and put it in how i want it to look assuming that it all was live rock, because it will eventually be that way. if you order the amount of rock that you want, i promise you will not be dissappointed with the quality that you get.

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com