info on base rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i saw the post below about marco rocks base rock. and i decided to look at the shipping figuring it would be outragous but its a very good deal compared to buyin live rock only from the lfs. i now am planning on getting 25 lbs from them to bring me up to 55 lbs of rock in my 45 gallon tank. this stuff wont spike any levels will it? should i just stack my live rock on top of it and then it will also end up looking like live rock eventually? anybody have pics after theyve had it awhile?

I have never used it but you will be OK. Just cure it with your LR as you cycle your tank. You`ll have a spike anyway as you cycle your tank. I think this is what you are asking.

actually pretty much what i meant was that i already have fish and everthing and all my live rock in the tank is cured and ive had the tank going for 2 years now. i want to know if base rock is like cured rock. if i could just put it in anytime.

It`s not like cured rock as it has no beneficial bacteria on it. But it should have no dieoff on it so maybe a good washing and you can put it in the tank.

I use Marcos. It can have some organic waste trapped in side. It is the best rock in the industry imo.

Marc recommends a full cycle.

I let it sit overnight in RO-wash well-and in it goes.

Here is what a piece of the preium Fiji looks like I got. People say they like tp pick but this stuff is very POURUS and you can shape it, break it, do what you want.

well i always get confused when buying rock on dead rock and base rock so often times its best to call them and make sure you know what your getting adding "dead" rock meaning in my mind rock thats been in sw just doesnt have living organisms on it, to an established tank isnt a very good idea. but base rock on the other hand is often just rocks companies make which if you ask me is the best thing for a established tank. not sure if that awnsers your question hope i helped

Marcos rock is the best dry rock in the industry hands down. It is a huge amount for the weight, has a ton of surface area. 75 lbs is enough to fill an entire 90lb tank.

Marcos preium Fiji and Tonga use to be live so YES it does have some organics in ti but not much. All you need to do is let it sit over night in water with a cup of bleach.

Then rinse and fill another bucket/good to do with dechlor.

Then let it dry for a while. That is what I do, some others that deal with Marc just rinse it and plop and never had a problem. Once alive this is the best and cheapest around.

will it always look like the picture above? or will it pretty much turn into live rock and look just like the cured rock you buy from the lfs?

No. Seed it with a few lbs of LR(Which I think you already have) or with some LS. In a few months time it will become encrusted in coraline and will look real nice.

It will become premium LR.

And 25 lbs of Marcos is a good amount. You will have enough to fill your tank with what you already have.

that rock is spectacular, and not to mention that marc is a great person too. if you have any questions about anything from him, he can usually help out. i have 30 lbs of base rock with 30 lbs of live rock right now in my tank. i just mixed in with each other and put it in how i want it to look assuming that it all was live rock, because it will eventually be that way. if you order the amount of rock that you want, i promise you will not be dissappointed with the quality that you get.

If you have an already cycled tank:
Put the rock in a bucket/tub
Add SW heater and ph
Check for ammonia (should show up in about three days)
If no ammonia is present, you could put it straight into your tank.
If ammonia is present, you will need to cure it.
I have 100Lbs of his rock sitting in my garage right now. I am waiting for the last 50Lbs to come in.

This rock really does not need to be "cured" Roka...It really just needs a good wash to get out trapped organics. I have been using his rock a while.

Tomd said:
This rock really does not need to be "cured" Roka...It really just needs a good wash to get out trapped organics. I have been using his rock a while.
Cool, thanks for the info! I like to be on the safe side. I am still cycling my tank and will just dump my rock from him, in my tank.

Absolutely better safe. His rock was live at one time and it is so pourus that there is debris inside but if you are still cycling perfect time.

Do you like the rock? It is nice and easy to break little pieces off to fit it if need be.

nfo on base rock.

Tomd said:
Absolutely better safe. His rock was live at one time and it is so pourus that there is debris inside but if you are still cycling perfect time.

Do you like the rock? It is nice and easy to break little pieces off to fit it if need be.
I love the rock! It is VERY pourus!!! he sent big/medium/small chunks. I will even be able to zip tie a lot of it. I plan on "building" some stuff, like an arch, spires and caves (unfortunately, I don't have much of an artistic side, but I will do my best! LOL!).

I dont have much of an artistic side either! It usually takes me along time to fit it all in where I feel safe.

Have you noticed a lot of fishing lines in the rock? The first few chunks I looked at had it......

Really....Never had that happen, that is really interesting.

Personally, I don't think it is a big deal I was just curious. It could be, they grabbed the chunks next to eachother and it was near a fisherman's favorite place....LOL!

Oh sure, the rock use to be live and god knows what goes on for fishing in those parts!

Back
Top Bottom