Information on feeding snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimmyVoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys just bought a snowflake eel today and he is in quarantine tank and just wanted to know some feeding information like how many times they eat a week and so on

Feed what it will eat. You will need to do lots of water changes in a QT. In order for a QT to be more benefit than harm you HAVE to make sure it is at least as good as the DT.

How big is it?

I would feed the ones at the shop frozen scallops (pieces or whole chunks depending on the size of the eel). Let it thaw in water with garlic juice in it and it should be eating in no time.

Ok got it. He is about a foot and how many times a week do I feed him

Every day if he will take it. At this age/size he should grow fast and eat a lot. This is why it is vital to do proper water changes to keep the water quality up.

What size tank is he going in?
What tankmates will he have?

He's going into a 120 gallon with a squirrel fish porcupine puffer twin spot wrasse and a sailfin tang. How long should he be quarantined for?

I don't quarantine or recommend it. I know this goes against what many people recommend but IME 95% of QT tanks are not at least as good as the DT in which case livestock is are more stressed in QT than in the DT and stress=illness. If you can keep the water quality up with frequent water changes (using water from the DT ideally, to get him used to it) and he is eating well you are okay.

What fish are in the DT now?

If I have him in there for a week with high quality water is that enough? And all the ones I mentioned except eel

Make sure he is eating. In the DT he could get stressed by the bigger more aggressive eaters and disappear into your rockwork. If he is eating well before you move him he will have a better chance of settling in well. Ideally move the rock from the QT that he hides in into the DT right along with him in the container you move him in so he still has his home.

i have so much rock work with so many holes for him to hide. Should what you said be a major concern?

I would if you can, even if you take it back out when he finds another hiding spot it may help him settle in better.

Back
Top Bottom