Inherited a 10 year old SWFO tank and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djangom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Thanks for taking the time to help a beginner!

3 months ago I bought a new home that came w a 10 year old 65 gallon SW FO tank. My main problem has been a recurrent layer of black stuff that blankets on the bottom of the tank. based on what I have read I assume it is a cyanobacteria. It peels right off and I can clean it out, but it will grow back fairly quickly. I have removed all the larger rocks and scrubbed them clean twice now. My nitrates hover between 10 to 25 ppm. My phosphates are around 2.5 to 5 ppm. The pH hovers between 8.0 and 8.3. Ammonia is negative. I recently bought an RODI filter and have been doing weekly 15 gallon water changes for the past 3 weeks, but the nitrates dont seem to be dropping. I added the whisper AP150 and the SEIO 1000 to help move the water too. I read somewhere that the wet dry filters can often trap nitrates and I'm wondering if that is my problem (or at least one of them!). There is a bunch of tan colored slimey stuff all over the bioballs in the filter and Im not sure if that is good or bad! I feed 1 packet of blood worms a day for the 4 fish. Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks again!!!

Is it a black sludge? The reason I ask I was just reading up on vodka dosing for reef tanks, long story short the black sludge could be from an increase in bacteria. I won't go into grave detail but what I would do since your nitrate and phosphate is high, do a 20% waterchange. Take half of the bio balls and shake them in the old tank water. Siphon up as much of the sludge as you can. In a week do the same thing but clean the other half of bio balls. Try running carbon for a few weeks to polish up the water. Test your water every other day. And after a month you sill have nitrates and phosphates look into adding a phosphate reactor they are Cheep and easy to set up.

pics

Here are some pics of my tank

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 147
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 143
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 146