Initial set-up & lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just setting up a 46gal FOWLER tank as a starter. I put 40lbs of live Fiji sand in the tank and 40gal of declorinated water with Instant Ocean salt. Put a AC300 on the back with sponge, Chemi-pure & bio media in the box. Airation running to mix the salts completely.

I will introduce some LR & SW Bio-Spira in a couple of days. I also intend to try using a piece of shrimp to enhance the cycle.

I would like to use the original factory hood. What would be the best replacement bulb to get for the single tube 36" fixture?

How does everything else sound so far?

I cant answer the lighting question but the rest looks good including the fishless cycle. Keep in touch

I will introduce some LR & SW Bio-Spira in a couple of days
Skip the bio-spira. Spend the money on more LR instead. The stuff is a waste of money. Use the LR and shrimp to cycle your tank.
I would like to use the original factory hood. What would be the best replacement bulb to get for the single tube 36" fixture?
Is there a certain effect you are trying to go for with your lighting? I would just go with a Coralife 50/50 bulb. 36in bulb is 30watts.

Lando,

No special effect. Just want the fish and LR to do as well as possible with the original hood limitations.

I already bought the Bio-Spira. Its sitting in the refrigerator waiting to be dummped in. I put 1 large shrimp in the tank this morning, shell and all. Water temp was 78. How long before I should see the ammonia start to rise. Shrimp was pretty big, hope I didn't overdo it.

I also just realized that my ammonia kit is for FW only. Any recommendations for a kit or doesn't it matter?

Thanks for the help - Charlie

No need to start the shrimp until you get the LR IMO.. It won't hurt anything by starting it now, the LR may have die off causing a amm spike again.. A cycle is different in every tank so we can't say it will take 1 day or 5 days to start to see a amm spike. Just sit back and watch and keep testing.
Salifert kits IMO are the best..

Back
Top Bottom