Input requested: New RODI Unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digital Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I have a 60 gallon FOWLER for about a year now and finally decided to purchase an RODI unit (better late than never...). Since my municipal water supply contains chloramines, I spent the extra money and purchased a six stage chloramine RODI unit from Bulk Reef Supply.

My question to the group is this: if the TDS meter is reading zero for the filtered water, is there any benefit at all to using water conditioner that I had been using to treat the tap water? What about the claim of the "protective coating" it provides for the fish? Anything else I should be aware of now that I am switching to RODI?

On a side note, Bulk Reef Supply was great to deal with and the RODI unit seems top notch.

Thanks

Once you run a RODI, you do not need to add any water conditioner. It is as pure as you're going to get. The RODI removes the particulates, chloramines, and chlorine in your water. Just mix the RODI with salt and you're good to go.

I have a follow-up question regarding the rodi water - so I dont need to use a water conditioner but is there any need to add anything to the water now that it is "pure". Minerals, etc? I am asking for a fowler.

Thanks.

Nope, you don't need to add any minerals. Not sure how you would do that TBH. Just get some RODI, mix some salt to the salinity you want and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom