Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what water changes are for....

Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The good thing about a skimmer is it removes the organics BEFORE they break down into ammonia-nitrite- and then NITRATE...Nitrate, the thing that's taken out in the refugium through algae.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #23

Which is what I said the whole time, if the tank is small enough or you do enough water changes you can get away without a skimmer.

Again, let us know if in a few years your water changes were enough to prevent any issues. Until then, I don't think your few months without a skimmer proves anything beyond a tank can go a few months without a skimmer.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can keep a tank without ANY filtration if your constantly doing water changes. The skimmer makes you have to do them less frequently. It's a great tool. Even better when paired with a refugium. But I don't think they're interchangeable. They complete different tasks.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have both a skimmer and a refugium and find it works for me. I also have a 125g reef tank so I feel in that situation a skimmer is a necessity. Just seeing what collects in the skimmer cup is enough proof for me that it is working and doing what its supposed to. The refugium has assisted me in keeping my trates at 0 or 5 so I also feel that is doing it's job. Mixed with weekly water changes I think I have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

The algae and plants that are put in a refugium and remove nitrates, phosphates, some heavy metals, toxins, and co2 from the water. For a beginner to the hobby, I think that will DEFINITELY suffice. My 40g will never see a protein skimmer since the coral I will be putting, greatly benefit from dissolved organics in the water. My 75g will probably see a hob protein skimmer since i do not have room for a refugium. I feel like this argument is the same as metal halides vs t5ho. Everyone has their opinions, and there are pros and cons to each.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to say, 4 months is not very long to develop a such a strong opinion.

In my almost 4 months of reef keeping, the only definite opinion I've reached is that I don't know much.

Also 5-20 ppm nitrates isn't much to brag about in a reef tank.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
I have to say, 4 months is not very long to develop a such a strong opinion.

In my almost 4 months of reef keeping, the only definite opinion I've reached is that I don't know much.

Also 5-20 ppm nitrates isn't much to brag about in a reef tank.
My reef tank has 0. My fowlr had 5-20. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, it has acro. Regardless, hardly proof positive that a skimmer has no purpose.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never stated a skimmer has no purpose. I'm just saying it really isn't required and a refugium is a good enough for a beginner and for my purposes.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, river, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com