instead of using a protein skimmer, can i just use jelly fish from the river?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has 20 years on your 4 months. What's cute is that you think you can even question that kind of experience. Thanks for sharing, but again, let us know how it is going in a few years.

Ah, the protein skimmer discussions again,,they are going on everywhere..
I never owned one or used one in over 6 years of keeping my tank...
I have 2 words "Algae Scrubber"...

well in Florida r rivers flow to the ocean "called an outlet" trust me there far from fresh water rivers like u would find in Idaho.In Florida there is dolphins and shark,all kind of ocean animals in r rivers...

if that answers ur question "I LOST NEMO"

Many marine species can spend periods of time in freshwater. They may be fresh,or brackish, but it is probably not full marine like a reef tank. Either way it won't work anyways so it is pointless.

Im not sure if this was mentioned yet, but refugiums dont REMOVE anything from the system, the macro absorbs it. If the macro dies, it is released into the system. I would run a skimmer and refugium if I had the option.

well in Florida r rivers flow to the ocean "called an outlet" trust me there far from fresh water rivers like u would find in Idaho.In Florida there is dolphins and shark,all kind of ocean animals in r rivers...

if that answers ur question "I LOST NEMO"

Wow u mad? Yes I've lived in florida andtexas both have outlets or more technical deltas. Still jellys need a whole different setup.

Aquarium Advice FINatic

ILOSTNEMO

im mainly confused as in how a fw river has jellys that can be used in place of a skimmer? really confused
this was ur question , i think we're done here

I know what my question was. And I know my stuff I've actualy studied all around the gulf of mexico for my marine biology degree. Do you thhink I know how far you are from the ocean? No I do not. So before you go critizing someones question about the river you can actually explain a little bit more. Kthnxbai

Fishguy2727 said:
Which is what I said the whole time, if the tank is small enough or you do enough water changes you can get away without a skimmer.

Again, let us know if in a few years your water changes were enough to prevent any issues. Until then, I don't think your few months without a skimmer proves anything beyond a tank can go a few months without a skimmer.

For one you can run tanks with out skimmers. My work has a system of 2 120s with sps lps and softies two 6 bulb t5 fixtures and its only running a fuge and berlin system

I don't know if this is relevant, but...

I thought you didn't need skimmers for small tanks like five gallons or even ten gallons? Does the use of skimmers depend on the tank size? If so when would you start using a skimmer for which tank size? I'm just wondering, as many people have differing opinions on that.

Not sure about the jellyfish but I don't think you could do that.

Not a saltie, just going off what I hear and research.

I tend to not use a skimmer on anything less than a 30g tank as water changes and proper maintenance as well as proper feeding can work just as well. I run a biocube without a skimmer 29g, and I am only pricing skimmers for my new 20g because it will be a hopefully, hi end coral tank.

I also have my doubts about a jelly fish, then again, I got stung by one like 30 years ago and don't like them so I may be biased. LOL

This thread has taken on a life of it's own it seems......

I tend to not use a skimmer on anything less than a 30g tank as water changes and proper maintenance as well as proper feeding can work just as well. I run a biocube without a skimmer 29g, and I am only pricing skimmers for my new 20g because it will be a hopefully, hi end coral tank.

I also have my doubts about a jelly fish, then again, I got stung by one like 30 years ago and don't like them so I may be biased. LOL

This thread has taken on a life of it's own it seems......

Ah well judging from the first post his tank is sixtyfour gallons, so I guess he'll eventually need a skimmer?

And in case the OP is ever interested, there's a website that sells stuff for jellyfish: Jellyfish Tanks | Pet Jellyfish, Jellyfish Aquariums, and Accessories

Sorry, but I am literally NO HELP in the salt section, I'm a freshie, sorry :hide:

As stated over and over it is possible to run a tank without a skimmer. The majority of people in the hobby however will use one on most tanks. Most people consider the cutoff 20-30 gallons. The skimmers that are smaller than this are too small to be very effective, a water change being more efficient.

I think something many people are missing is the different between 'it is better to have a skimmer than to not have one' and 'you NEED a skimmer'. There is a difference. Just because someone says you should have a skimmer or that tanks are more stable with one, doesn't mean it is impossible to run a tank without one.

No, you don't NEED a skimmer on any tank. Stocking, water changes, other forms of filtration, etc. can all affect the need for a skimmer. In the end, IME, a tank is safer with a skimmer. As I stated before, my clients and customers who have had tanks crash or fail to thrive have had no or under-powered skimmers.

For their cost they are worth it. There is no benefit to not having one except financial, and if you are in this hobby to save money: GET OUT NOW!

well basically what you are saying the tanks crashed because no skimmer. okay id prefer running chemi pure and carbon which removes disolved organics as well and cost cheaper. along with polyfilter. and i save money? you just gotta know what you are doing. ive kept multiple tanks on small budgets including a 55 reef never had one problem and it was up for years using tap water and instant ocean.

Have any of you really ever done any research on algae scrubbers ,,,by most of the comments i'd say no...
It amazes me that you think i'm cheap or taking shortcuts because i don't run a skimmer(6+ years)...Also skimmers actually remove a lot of good things from the water that are very beneficial to the corals,so IMO its better to have a scrubber,not a skimmer

You think that buying a skimmer once is more expensive than buying all that media for the entire life of your tank?

Do not put words in my mouth. I did not say they crashed because they didn't have a skimmer. The lack of skimmer contributed to the issue. Maybe the tanks wouldn't have crashed if they had skimmers, maybe they wouldn't have gone downhill so fast and the person would have caught the issue in time.

I doubt your tap water/instant ocean tanks were as good as tanks that are run with stricter standards. Alive, growing, enjoyable, no doubt. But without pics your claims don't mean much.

What good things are removed by a skimmer?

Yet again, maybe part of my posts aren't making it, NO ONE is saying you can't run a tank without a skimmer. People are just saying they are a good idea and can make a big difference. Obviously you can run a tank without one.

FTMMWS said:
Have any of you really ever done any research on algae scrubbers ,,,by most of the comments i'd say no...
It amazes me that you think i'm cheap or taking shortcuts because i don't run a skimmer(6+ years)...Also skimmers actually remove a lot of good things from the water that are very beneficial to the corals,so IMO its better to have a scrubber,not a skimmer

I would rather have a scrubber over a skimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom