Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
You think that buying a skimmer once is more expensive than buying all that media for the entire life of your tank?

Do not put words in my mouth. I did not say they crashed because they didn't have a skimmer. The lack of skimmer contributed to the issue. Maybe the tanks wouldn't have crashed if they had skimmers, maybe they wouldn't have gone downhill so fast and the person would have caught the issue in time.

I doubt your tap water/instant ocean tanks were as good as tanks that are run with stricter standards. Alive, growing, enjoyable, no doubt. But without pics your claims don't mean much.

What good things are removed by a skimmer?

Yet again, maybe part of my posts aren't making it, NO ONE is saying you can't run a tank without a skimmer. People are just saying they are a good idea and can make a big difference. Obviously you can run a tank without one.
Yes actually. Plus think about costs to mantain a skimmer. And yes they can crash with skimmers. Skimmers don't make that much of a deal if the person couldn't catch the tank going down do you think they could actually set the skimmer fully up? And no I don't have pics and no one said as good.. just making a point even with bad things a tank doesn't need a skimmer. And what good things well trace elements for one. Look at the back of pretty much anything tracce element wise. All of them say turn of protein skimmer.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #62

What are the costs associated with running a skimmer?

I will let my clients with thriving tanks know to turn off their skimmers, their corals didn't get the message to not do as well, or to have all trace elements no longer available.

NO ONE said tanks with skimmers can't or won't crash. Please stop putting words into other people's mouths just to give yourself something to argue against. Everyone is being civil and basing it on sharing information for the better of everyone. IMO you have gotten closer to argumentative than anyone else. Please keep this discussion productive or I am sure someone will close it.

Have you used a skimmer?
For how long?
What problems did you have?
What skimmer did you use?
What size tank was it setup on?
How was the tank stocked?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What are the costs associated with running a skimmer?

I will let my clients with thriving tanks know to turn off their skimmers, their corals didn't get the message to not do as well, or to have all trace elements no longer available.

NO ONE said tanks with skimmers can't or won't crash. Please stop putting words into other people's mouths just to give yourself something to argue against. Everyone is being civil and basing it on sharing information for the better of everyone. IMO you have gotten closer to argumentative than anyone else. Please keep this discussion productive or I am sure someone will close it.

Have you used a skimmer?yes twice actually
For how long? 2 years
What problems did you have? No problems just no benifits had better results with different things
What skimmer did you use? 22v (rated to 125)and 44v(200+) from als
What size tank was it setup on? 22 on a 30 gallon and actually the 44 on a 58
How was the tank stocked?both over stocked.
First off so you know i also am in the fish selling world and have mantained tanks for 15 years. Well if the pump goes out impellers etc.. if you do it correctly and have run off going through a filter pad you've gotta replace that. You do realize trace elements are important. And your not being to civil. You may not realize this but you are coming across as someone who says skimmers or else. And oh well if they close it it is being productive as in showing both sides. And answer in your quote for your questions
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now now people let's just say you can never have to much filtration only to little so however you want to filter you tank is up to u people will always have mixed ideas about how best I have a five foot sump full of life and a 7ft skimmer but I still worry I don't have enough
Old 08-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

I smell a parking lot brawl coming on... Greasers vs socs. Oldschool!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #66

You don't need a filter pad for the output.

Again, trying to stay productive:
Have you used a skimmer?
For how long?
What trace elements? Please don't just repeat 'trace elements' over and over. Please share any info you have.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You don't need a filter pad for the output.

Again, trying to stay productive:
Have you used a skimmer?
For how long?
What trace elements? Please don't just repeat 'trace elements' over and over. Please share any info you have.
Tostop micro bubbles yes. And I answered your questions. And wow you don't know what trace elements are yet you are trying to act like you have all these customers lol
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #68

If you have the right sump and skimmer micro bubbles shouldn't be a problem. I set mine up so they were never an issue. Good skimmers and good sumps will prevent any issues.

Where did you answer those questions? You said you have had tanks for 15 years, that's it.

YOU cited trace elements as an issue. I am asking you which ones? Why are all those people with thriving reef tanks not having issues?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

first off if you fully read my post i said i answered them in your quote. and okay. and it is a issue pick up a bottle of reef or marine snow or fuel. they all say turn off your protein skimmer. i know i cited that. i bet ive kept more reefs than you and they have ranged in size from 2 gallon to 125. all over stocked. two with a skimmer and hated them. this is personal experince with me. have you had a reef tank?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #70

Yes, and have many clients and customers now with them.

Reef/marine snow is a food for filter feeders, not a trace element. Actually using a skimmer with those kinds of foods means the waste doesn't sit in the system and rot, it is physically removed from the system by the skimmer. This means there are fewer nutrients in the water feeding algae.

Fuel (AquaVitro Fuel?) is also not trace elements, it is amino acids (also provided by protien).

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, river, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com