Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you wanna argue i will get you full product lines from work how many reef tanks have you had? 14 here

Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
I have a 90g reef ....with a bubble magus 150 nac-3 rated up to 80g so that it won't eat up all my good microbes... I also have a refguium .... I wouldn't dream of having one with out the other...

I don't have a million years of experience but I have study every accept of this hobby..... (still there's much to learn)

Its up to you, but I wouldn't tell somebody who is just starting out in this hobby don't use a skimmer.....
I know lots of people not Using a skimmer but there aquarium also been running for years....
Shoot I know people who have had there tanks so long they don't do water change..just top off.
But I wouldn't suggest it to people lol.
Good luck

Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #73

I have had, maintained, and been responsible for dozens of reef tanks, from nanos to over 500 gallon display tanks. I ran and managed the fish shop I was working for (4,000 gallons of saltwater). I have worked with countless reef clients and customers over the years. I am not guessing at this or basing it on a little nano I had at one point. I do this for a living.

Ditto. It may work for some people in some tanks, but I wouldn't make it a policy of saying they are bad or even unnecessary.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive had over a dozen reef tanks. maintained about a list of 87 clients. and go to ripleys aquarium in the smokies? ive done tanks there. my store has that gallonage beat. about 5600 gallons of salt 3000 fresh.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #75

Anyone reading this:

Although skimmers can remove some good things, these are usually minor and easily replenished with regular water changes using high quality salt. The bad stuff they remove is more than worth the insignificant amount of good things remove. They remove different things than a refugium or scrubber will.

Although they are arguably not essential to any tank, they are beneficial. IME they allow for a more stable tank. I recommend that anyone, especially people just starting out in this hobby, use one. Any skimmer is better than no skimmer. There are reefkeeping methods that do not utilize skimmers at all, and they do work very well for some people. But most people in the hobby are using what I would call a semi-natural method, meaning that most of the filtration is the live rock itself, the rest coming from a skimmer and a fuge. With skimmers designed for small tanks (under around 30 gallons) the skimmer just isn't very effective. In these cases I recommend either A-no skimmer, water changes becoming more vital or if the tank isn't too small B-an over-sized skimmer (like something rated for 50 gallons). These would be small HOB skimmers, even a Seaclone is better than nothing.

Everyone has different methods. Some people keep trying every new product and method that comes out, others find something that they can get to work well enough and stick with it no matter what. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I prefer to stick with what is tried and true (like methods that 90%+ of aquarists use), but still keep an eye out for that thing that people are just not buying into yet because they have been trained to think a certain way. Maybe I am missing something like that here, but without better examples to truly illustrate the benefits of one method or another, I will be sticking with skimmers.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mkay. Your choice I will stick with my method.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #77
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
This has gone way off topic and has become a big argument. It's done now.
Thread closed.
Check out The build project
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #78
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, but...

I thought you didn't need skimmers for small tanks like five gallons or even ten gallons? Does the use of skimmers depend on the tank size? If so when would you start using a skimmer for which tank size? I'm just wondering, as many people have differing opinions on that.
IMO you could get by without a skimmer on a 30 gallon or less. Frequent PWC`s will suffice instead.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Closed Thread

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, river, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com