Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

instead of using a protein skimmer, can i just use jelly fish from the river?

not the ones that eat fish but the ones that feed by filtering the water.I have a sixty four gallon,fowlr.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, I definitely wouldn't.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

so, protein skimmer is a must?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I don't think it would do the same job.
And filter feeders may require supplemental feeding.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, protein skimmer are definitely not a must. I don't use one on either of my tanks. You can get a HOB refugium with chaeto algae, and it will do a great job of decreasing nitrates/phosphates.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are very benaficial. They take out dissolved organic matter before they can break down into ammonia. You remove the ammonia source, which prevents nitrites, thus preventing nitrates. Also increases oxygen and decreases phosphates helping prevent algae blooms. Most without one will say it's not necessary, but once you have one you'll say it definately helps.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

People who spend tons of money on one, usually defend it too a refugium in a fowlr tank is more beneficial since it does all that you said the protein skimmer does, except for removing dissolved organics, and also makes a sanctuary for copepods to breed and grow so your fish get a constant food supply and it's not as loud.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish I wouldve spent more money on mine...I have to tweak mine from time to time. But the stuff it produces is a clear sign that it's working. Def nasty.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #9

You can run a refugium AND a skimmer...

Protein skimmers remove a lot more than refugiums do, and actually remove it from the system. With a fuge all that stuff is still in the system so if the algae dies it is right back in the water. Yes, physically removing the macroalgae will actually remove it from the system, but this doesn't happen constantly like it does with a skimmer.

The point of this thread was to determine if filter feeders could replace a skimmer. No, they cannot.

It turned into whether skimmers are truly needed. No they are not. But they are very beneficial. Depending on how they tank is setup and stocked it is possible to get by without one, but those systems tend to rely much more on water changes and have less room for error. Out of all my clients and customers who ever had problems with a tank crashing, being unstable, or failing to thrive, they all had no or underpowered skimmers (or there was some massive problem unrelated to skimmer or fuge).

Unless your tank is under 30 gallons where a water change is more effective than a skimmer, I highly suggest using one. Any skimmer is better than no skimmer.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well he asked if one was necessary..... your story about your clients having stuff happen to their system, and most had no skimmers is also kinda weird. If they need to hire someone to help them with their systems, then I cannot think that they truly know what they are doing.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, river, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com