Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is 200gph too much for a 10gallon FOWLR?

Are 2 100gph PH and a Mini Biowheel too much for a 10gallon FOWLR?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
10 times you total water volume turnover X 10 gal= 100 So 1 of them would be plenty. I'm sure most would tell you to can the biowheel filter, or take the wheels out, but I'll let them chime in. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I don't think you will have a problem with that amount of flow. Some members here have 30x+ flow in their reef tanks. That should help prevent having any dead spots in the tank anywhere. I would probably ditch the bio wheel if you have 10-15lbs of rock in there though.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the tips.

Ok, so I should ditch the mini-bio wheel and just add more LR to achieve 10-15lbs/gallon and have atleast 10x water flow, but 20x would be OK?

Thanks again...
Old 06-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

yes. there are a lot how think that it is just as important to have multiple points of flow in that 10x water flow. In other words, have more than just one PH giving you 10x. Have a couple or a PH and your filter. for a 10 gallon, I think I would do that, have your bio-wheel (wheel-less of course) pointing towards the front and direct the PH across the middle of the length of the tank. JMO, exact position depends on your aquascaping and a few other things... most of which are up to you when you're setting it up.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I remove the HOB filter, what will serve as the mechnical filtration? I ordered 2 Maxijets 106gph PH's. Now I'm trying to decide (with the advice given from here), if I should use 2 PH's and no HOB OR 1 PH and the HOB?

Also, where is the correct placement for the PH in terms of depth? In other words, should the PH be placed close to the water surface or well below the surface?

And what is the reason for removing the bio-wheel? To eliminate the excess nitrates?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yea, I also read in an older thread that someone recommended using carbon in a tank this small. So yay or nay to the HOB?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygGer
Oh yea, I also read in an older thread that someone recommended using carbon in a tank this small. So yay or nay to the HOB?
The HOB is fine, I would just suggest removing the media and use it as a "polishing" addition when/if needed. With a decent amount of LR, it will be fine without external filtration. I have a HOB on my 5 gal with a single 106 and it works great. With the larger tank I think you will be fine with the 2x106's at opposite ends directed towrds the same area (X style).

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Also, where is the correct placement for the PH in terms of depth? In other words, should the PH be placed close to the water surface or well below the surface?
I usually put PH's 2-3" under the surface so that they cause a little surface disturbance. This helps with gas exchange and keeps DOC's from just sitting in one place on the surface. Your Maxi Jet PH's will come with directional ends that will allow you to adjust where the flow goes. I also think you made a wise decision by choosing the MJ's...they are excellent powerheads and will work for a long time.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
The HOB is fine, I would just suggest removing the media and use it as a "polishing" addition when/if needed.
So in other words, use the HOB filter as a PH by removing BOTH the biowheel and the filter media and only use filter media (w/carbon) for polishing the water?

And since I ordered the PH's, I could use those instead of a filter-less and biowheel-less HOB filter?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganj
I usually put PH's 2-3" under the surface so that they cause a little surface disturbance.
[/quote]

Thanks!

Tags
fowlr, gph, 10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com