Is 200gph too much for a 10gallon FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10 times you total water volume turnover X 10 gal= 100 So 1 of them would be plenty. I'm sure most would tell you to can the biowheel filter, or take the wheels out, but I'll let them chime in. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't think you will have a problem with that amount of flow. Some members here have 30x+ flow in their reef tanks. That should help prevent having any dead spots in the tank anywhere. I would probably ditch the bio wheel if you have 10-15lbs of rock in there though.

Thanks for the tips.

Ok, so I should ditch the mini-bio wheel and just add more LR to achieve 10-15lbs/gallon and have atleast 10x water flow, but 20x would be OK?

Thanks again... :D

yes. there are a lot how think that it is just as important to have multiple points of flow in that 10x water flow. In other words, have more than just one PH giving you 10x. Have a couple or a PH and your filter. for a 10 gallon, I think I would do that, have your bio-wheel (wheel-less of course) pointing towards the front and direct the PH across the middle of the length of the tank. JMO, exact position depends on your aquascaping and a few other things... most of which are up to you when you're setting it up.

If I remove the HOB filter, what will serve as the mechnical filtration? I ordered 2 Maxijets 106gph PH's. Now I'm trying to decide (with the advice given from here), if I should use 2 PH's and no HOB OR 1 PH and the HOB?

Also, where is the correct placement for the PH in terms of depth? In other words, should the PH be placed close to the water surface or well below the surface?

And what is the reason for removing the bio-wheel? To eliminate the excess nitrates?

Oh yea, I also read in an older thread that someone recommended using carbon in a tank this small. So yay or nay to the HOB?

TygGer said:
Oh yea, I also read in an older thread that someone recommended using carbon in a tank this small. So yay or nay to the HOB?
The HOB is fine, I would just suggest removing the media and use it as a "polishing" addition when/if needed. With a decent amount of LR, it will be fine without external filtration. I have a HOB on my 5 gal with a single 106 and it works great. With the larger tank I think you will be fine with the 2x106's at opposite ends directed towrds the same area (X style).

Cheers
Steve

TygGer said:
Also, where is the correct placement for the PH in terms of depth? In other words, should the PH be placed close to the water surface or well below the surface?

I usually put PH's 2-3" under the surface so that they cause a little surface disturbance. This helps with gas exchange and keeps DOC's from just sitting in one place on the surface. Your Maxi Jet PH's will come with directional ends that will allow you to adjust where the flow goes. I also think you made a wise decision by choosing the MJ's...they are excellent powerheads and will work for a long time.

steve-s said:
TygGer said:
The HOB is fine, I would just suggest removing the media and use it as a "polishing" addition when/if needed.

So in other words, use the HOB filter as a PH by removing BOTH the biowheel and the filter media and only use filter media (w/carbon) for polishing the water?

And since I ordered the PH's, I could use those instead of a filter-less and biowheel-less HOB filter?

Thanks

loganj said:
I usually put PH's 2-3" under the surface so that they cause a little surface disturbance.
[/quote]

Thanks!

TygGer said:
So in other words, use the HOB filter as a PH by removing BOTH the biowheel and the filter media and only use filter media (w/carbon) for polishing the water?
Yes, If available in your area I also use polyfilters.

And since I ordered the PH's, I could use those instead of a filter-less and biowheel-less HOB filter?
If you think it has enough flow without the HOB, yes. Myself I would leave it running. Much less hassle to simpley insert a filter sleeve when needed. If you let it sit onside the tank without running, be sure you empty all the water.

Cheers
Steve

Unless the tank will house aggressive carnivors where inverts will not be permitted, the mech filtration will not be needed at all. With a LR tank reef or otherwise, the fauna withing the system become your mechanical filtration so to speak.

All mechanical filtration does is filter out/collect large particulate matter from the water. As I said though, if you leave the HOB running without a filter insert it can easily be placed back when needed. If used 24/7, mechanical filtration can often become a hinderance to water quality.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom