Is a fine grass looking algea growing of live rock good or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hair algae.thrives on nutrients,good in one way bad in another
By growing it helps keeps nitrates lower but it means you have a nutrients problem,although your trates test may show low,if you have Hair Algae the trates level is actually high but is been consumed by the algae.What is your feeding schedule?.How many fish,size tank,pwc?.
The HA will keep growing and will take over your tank if you dont address this,start pulling it out with water changes,cut lighting down,cut feeding down.I allow HA to grow in my tank because I'm breeding clownfish but I still pull it out every week to keep on top of it.

David S said:
Hair algae.thrives on nutrients,good in one way bad in another
By growing it helps keeps nitrates lower but it means you have a nutrients problem,although your trates test may show low,if you have Hair Algae the trates level is actually high but is been consumed by the algae.What is your feeding schedule?.How many fish,size tank,pwc?.
The HA will keep growing and will take over your tank if you dont address this,start pulling it out with water changes,cut lighting down,cut feeding down.I allow HA to grow in my tank because I'm breeding clownfish but I still pull it out every week to keep on top of it.

Ok thanks, I am usually quite scarce with feeding as I am aware of fish feeding of live rock but have recently introduced a valentini puffer an was advised to feed him 2-3 times per day so feeding has increased. I have a pair of clowns the Valentini, damsel,cleaner wrass a red spine star, a sand shifting star 2 hermits and a algea eating loach type (dark green with purple tinge with boogly eyes) so you think less light hours and reduce feeding ??

Rossij101 said:
Ok thanks, I am usually quite scarce with feeding as I am aware of fish feeding of live rock but have recently introduced a valentini puffer an was advised to feed him 2-3 times per day so feeding has increased. I have a pair of clowns the Valentini, damsel,cleaner wrass a red spine star, a sand shifting star 2 hermits and a algea eating loach type (dark green with purple tinge with boogly eyes) so you think less light hours and reduce feeding ??

My tank is 90 l with plenty live rock and a ehime pro 300 it is a cuboid tank

you'll have to wait for another poster regarding the puffer feeding,how often do you clean the filter.is that a 90 litre or gallon?
If its litre then thats too many fish and the puffer will need a larger tank,30g min.it'll probably have the hermit or at least try it.

It's a luminaire set up 1 bulb is slightly dimmer than other, my hermits are too big for the small valentini and he seems v happy I looked up his tank recommendations at lfs and it said 75 l

If the bulbs are old they could be contributing to the HA. As the bulbs age the spectrum of light changes. I would replace them if you dont know the age of the bulbs.

you don't need to feed a valentini puffer 3 x a day. once is fine. the tank is small for it though. you'll need to upgrade eventually.

For HA, I let it grow in a couple spots. The spots that I let it grow are easily accessible and I pull some off every week with my pwc to facilitate some nutrient export. It's been working for me very well, nitrates are unreadable and so are phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom