Is hairy brown stuff bad in a FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had 80 lbs of LR in my tank for a few weeks now, which has cycled successfully, but last week I rearranged them to their now-permanent home. The pieces on the very top (closest to the lights) are getting brown algae that looks hairy (thin filamentous growth) and is reproducing rather quickly. pH is 8.2, Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, SG 1.022, temp 79.

I don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing...at least it proves my tank is contributing to life, but do I need to control this before it gets out of hand? Is now the time to get a cleanup crew? Will that keep it under control? I've already been warned off of turbo snails, so (in case I haven't found it before) what are healthy alternatives for a cleanup crew in a FOWLR. I intend on adding a pygmy angel, perhaps a couple tangs and butterflys, a gramma and maybe some clowns eventually, if this will have an effect on the cleanup crew constituents.

TIA,
--Aquabear

If its a new tank then things of this nature will occur. I just went through my massive diatom algae outbreak a few days ago.

So then you're saying I should not be worried? I put the rock through 10 days of no light to prevent algae bloom (a tip I picked up here), but it sure seems to be doing some catch-up.

--Aquabear

astrea snails and margarita snails do a good job of cleaning up. I would also reccomend some peppermint shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom