is it a wise idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeSweeney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The situation.....

My 10gal has finnally cycled. My lfs has got tiny blue regal tangs. I know that generally these fish would be too big to live in my tank but i am going to get a much larger tank set up by aprox august next year.

The question....

How long would it take for the tang to become too large for my tank? Would it be a good idea to get one?

I would say that its already too big for your tank Tangs need alot of room to swim and are fast growers

The situation.....

My 10gal has finnally cycled. My lfs has got tiny blue regal tangs. I know that generally these fish would be too big to live in my tank but i am going to get a much larger tank set up by aprox august next year.

The question....

How long would it take for the tang to become too large for my tank? Would it be a good idea to get one?

Even a little juvenile tang typically needs 40 gallons to swim in. When you go to your LFS they have them in smaller tanks because they don't plan on keeping them long. Also, tangs are big swimmers so when you do buy a bigger tank, I personally would go with something longer than taller.

I've also heard that the juvie tangs have a higher mortality rate than the medium-large size ones. I've always heard that buying small fish that will eventually get large (tangs, angels, etc) is risky.

Plus, a 10g is going to be tough to maintain stability. I would not put something that does not do well with parameter fluctuations (like Tangs) in something that size.

I've also heard that the juvie tangs have a higher mortality rate than the medium-large size ones. I've always heard that buying small fish that will eventually get large (tangs, angels, etc) is risky.

Plus, a 10g is going to be tough to maintain stability. I would not put something that does not do well with parameter fluctuations (like Tangs) in something that size.

What you have heard is generally true. I will also say that as much as all these websites claim tangs as good fish, they are not good beginner fish. Tangs are picky eaters and stress out really easily. Personally, I've bought a juvenile before and had great luck with it but I QT'd it and treated it as if it were sick. I also had an established tank with plenty to graze on. A few of the people I know with both reef and FOWLR claim that tangs and angelfish like coral beauty's do better in reefs. They never had any issues with either bothering their corals but I've read where the angels are questionable on that one. My coral beauty did great in FOWLR.

I would say they grow too fast. For 10 gallons I would look at small clowns, maybe some inverts.

I would say 10 may not even be large enough for clowns maybe small goby and inverts

No.

Nothing against you but "I'm going to upgrade...." is a really common way for people to justify in their minds and others to get a fish unsuitable for the home they can provide. I wouldn't consider a Hippo in anything smaller than 6 feet long. The small ones are cute and affordable, but they have needs that can't be met in a 10 gallon tank.

I would say 10 may not even be large enough for clowns maybe small goby and inverts

I agree. I know that you may want the clowns but they really need 20-30 gallons minimum to be happy. People do it but just know that you have to change the water very often and this is cramped even for them.

I realize that in freshwater you can put more fish however it's not the same for saltwater. Usually the general rule is for every inch of fish you need 5 gallons. Personally, I would even go to 10 gallons per inch because of CUC as they put off waste too.

Some of the goby's can work well in a 10 gallon. The firefish Goby, green clown goby...there are a couple.

There are tons of fish suitable to a nano tank. But there are no tangs I could recommend for the reasons already stated. One of the hardest things to do in this hobby is maintain perspective when stocking. Just about anytime your desire overcomes your common sense, or research, you are headed for a fall. But a few rules do seem to stand the test of time, tangs need a long tank for swimming space, even when they are young. Mandarines are tricky to buy right, then keep alive. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom