Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

is it a wise idea?

The situation.....

My 10gal has finnally cycled. My lfs has got tiny blue regal tangs. I know that generally these fish would be too big to live in my tank but i am going to get a much larger tank set up by aprox august next year.

The question....

How long would it take for the tang to become too large for my tank? Would it be a good idea to get one?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Bad idea. Wait till next August when you have a tank of a suitable size.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say that its already too big for your tank Tangs need alot of room to swim and are fast growers
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSweeney View Post
The situation.....

My 10gal has finnally cycled. My lfs has got tiny blue regal tangs. I know that generally these fish would be too big to live in my tank but i am going to get a much larger tank set up by aprox august next year.

The question....

How long would it take for the tang to become too large for my tank? Would it be a good idea to get one?
Even a little juvenile tang typically needs 40 gallons to swim in. When you go to your LFS they have them in smaller tanks because they don't plan on keeping them long. Also, tangs are big swimmers so when you do buy a bigger tank, I personally would go with something longer than taller.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've also heard that the juvie tangs have a higher mortality rate than the medium-large size ones. I've always heard that buying small fish that will eventually get large (tangs, angels, etc) is risky.

Plus, a 10g is going to be tough to maintain stability. I would not put something that does not do well with parameter fluctuations (like Tangs) in something that size.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I've also heard that the juvie tangs have a higher mortality rate than the medium-large size ones. I've always heard that buying small fish that will eventually get large (tangs, angels, etc) is risky.

Plus, a 10g is going to be tough to maintain stability. I would not put something that does not do well with parameter fluctuations (like Tangs) in something that size.
What you have heard is generally true. I will also say that as much as all these websites claim tangs as good fish, they are not good beginner fish. Tangs are picky eaters and stress out really easily. Personally, I've bought a juvenile before and had great luck with it but I QT'd it and treated it as if it were sick. I also had an established tank with plenty to graze on. A few of the people I know with both reef and FOWLR claim that tangs and angelfish like coral beauty's do better in reefs. They never had any issues with either bothering their corals but I've read where the angels are questionable on that one. My coral beauty did great in FOWLR.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would say they grow too fast. For 10 gallons I would look at small clowns, maybe some inverts.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say 10 may not even be large enough for clowns maybe small goby and inverts
Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

No.

Nothing against you but "I'm going to upgrade...." is a really common way for people to justify in their minds and others to get a fish unsuitable for the home they can provide. I wouldn't consider a Hippo in anything smaller than 6 feet long. The small ones are cute and affordable, but they have needs that can't be met in a 10 gallon tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com