Is it possible to use a Aqua Clear filter in a saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I'm using an AC now. I have carbon and GFO in it right now. Not sure its even needed.

Oh wow really? What do you recommend in a AC filter? Sponge and biomax be alright?

What are you running as far as a skimmer/filter? I'm trying to get my filtration to just LR and the skimmer.

carey said:
What are you running as far as a skimmer/filter? I'm trying to get my filtration to just LR and the skimmer.

I'm new to this side of the scene. I've always been into freshwater and I have a 25 gallon tank that I want to learn with! So I'm looking into what I can run and get a tank established best with my end...

I know the feeling. I just started SW a few months ago, I've always been a FW girl.

I have come to find out that alot of stuff is more expensive for miniature tanks. The remora with skimmer box was $200 but it comes highly rated and is one of the few that can HOB.

I'm just using the AC for now since I have no sump nor can I get one when I upgrade to my 55g. Also, since we are dealing with a smaller volume of water there is less room for error.

It's a whole new world but ask your questions everyone here has been more than helpful to me. I wouldn't have a reef tank if it wasn't for this site.

carey said:
I know the feeling. I just started SW a few months ago, I've always been a FW girl.

I have come to find out that alot of stuff is more expensive for miniature tanks. The remora with skimmer box was $200 but it comes highly rated and is one of the few that can HOB.

I'm just using the AC for now since I have no sump nor can I get one when I upgrade to my 55g. Also, since we are dealing with a smaller volume of water there is less room for error.

It's a whole new world but ask your questions everyone here has been more than helpful to me. I wouldn't have a reef tank if it wasn't for this site.

Ah man im going to start collecting my chump change lol. But I'm looking into the aquamaxx skimmer for my 25 gallon, I read good reviews but honestly using it can really answer my questions about it's performance. It also cost $200 for the unit ;-( but I'm hoping I can have it up and running in a few weeks ;-)...do you have any pointers or tips you would def tell a beginner that you learned in your experience with a SW setup?

Since i'm a beginner too I can share my experience. I guess the most important thing is patience. It sounds silly but its so true. Everything in the tank has to be just so and you need to keep up on everything, no slacking. LOL I was impatient and bought an aneneome as my first critter. bad move. I recently returned him. i may have the same problem with a sea hare I purchased to eat hair algae. It all seems to be a waiting game

Ah ok I guess patients is key in every aspect of life ;-) but right now I'm going to keep reading up to fully understand a SW system and hopefully it all clicks before I start adding water and live sand in my 25 gallon tank lol

Well the sooner you start your cycle the better. It will take a couple weeks to cycle before you can add anything anyway.
I'd look into a skimmer and use your AC. The lights you can also research. Do you want a reef tank r just fish? The light requirements are alot less for fish only.

Good luck. look forward to seeing what you put together.

Honestly I do want some corals and anemones but then I don't because I don't want to kill any. So I'm trying to make up my mind lol but I will use a skimmer and my AC! What media should I add to my AC????

For cycling I was using the foam, carbon and bio media. I had some die off from my LR and gunk floating around.

do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, trites and nitrates?

What is in your AC after your cycle? I don't have a test kit but I do plan on buying one when I set everything up...

I'm running just carbon insert and a bag of GFO for my high phosphates.

yeah i wouldnt even start anything without a test kit. Are you going to your LFS for your LR or online? Or CL?

Granulated feric oxide. :) Supposed to remove phosphates. I started my tank for the first few weeks with tap water and havent bounced back yet.

Well if you get your LR there you might have a real short cycle. Thats a good thing.

Have you read up on fishless cycling? Theres a bunch of great articles on here. i used ammonia and the LR to cycle mine.

Back
Top Bottom