Is it safe to use NSW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I live on the water and I was wondering if I am able to use salt water from my backyard if I put it in a tank and filter it and maybe use a UV sterilizer to kill of any unwanted pests. Is it possible?

Yes it is, if you go far enough into the ocean and get the water. You don't want from the shore because it will have pollutants.

What if I use water from my backyard? Like literally from my backyard? But I would put it in a separate tank to filter and check the SG and kill off any pests. Is it doable?

You backyard? As in "the beach is in my backyard" or water that lays on the ground in your backyard? You have to be very careful with your water supply. If you have neighbors that use pesticides or some fertilizers they can leach onto your property killing the inhabitants of your tank.

No as in, I live on the water. I took a picture from my iPads crappy camera lol

Attachments

• image-4191423505.jpg
    image-4191423505.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 139
Pretty view. I myself would worry about contaminants. Boats leeching oil and gas, runoff of chemicals from docks and land, etc. But I tend to be an overcautious worrier. Most folks who are proponents of NSW (and I think that you probably can't beat the real thing) go about 10-15 minutes out into the water via boat. I'm guessing that to be more than a mile out? I think that at that point you are clear of freshwater runoff and pollutants. Of course, as always it is completely up to
You. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Sure thing! I'll try it out on a shrimp or something small first just to make sure it won't kill everything lol

I would highly recommend against it. The water you get from there will be highly contaminated with things like engine oil, human waste (boats dumping their waste), and other toxic substances.

The only safe way to use NSW is to go at least a couple miles out into the ocean, collect it, then haul it back in.

and by safe, I should say less problematic. You still may end up with some sort of microscopic hitch hikers that can ruin your tank.

Can't a small aquarium with a filter and UV sterilizers take care of that? It would be separate from my main aquarium with the fish in it.

The UV will take care of anything living in the water. But you would need some major filtration equipment to make the water clean and safe to use in the tank. Public aquariums that use NSW have huge filtration systems to process the water they use, and they gather it from a few hundred feet out in the water or even farther.

Another big problem when using NSW is the inconsistency of whats in it. You may collect it one time and it works perfectly fine, then the next time you collect it, it destroys your tank. If it rains heavily prior to you collecting it, run off from the shores and sewage drains may contaminate the water.

There are just so many dangerous variables that it's just not worth using to save $60 on a bucket of reef salt every couple months. Controlling your water is one of the most important foundations for having a successful tank. If you surrender that control, you surrender your tank to the possibility of a disaster that, depending on what livestock you have, could cost thousands.

Personally, I would never use NSW, just too much to lose.

Back
Top Bottom