Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is it still diatoms?

Now i'm getting to the part where I dont know if i'm still dealing with diatoms in my 75. I actually went thru the trouble of scrubbing the walls of the tank with an aquarium scrubber sponge thing and things were looking good. the back wall is getting brown again, and the substrate is getting browner. one of the huge base rocks is getting cleaned by the turbos but they arent really on the other big ones. funny thing too is i lost a turbo (as in died) I'm not having these kinds of issues with my corner tank

I realized i may have my lights on too long, so i'm trying to make sure i'm not keeping them on that long, no more than 12 hours but that doesnt seem to help. anything else you can think of? I can provide some pics if anyone likes.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
Now i'm getting to the part where I dont know if i'm still dealing with diatoms in my 75. I actually went thru the trouble of scrubbing the walls of the tank with an aquarium scrubber sponge thing and things were looking good. the back wall is getting brown again, and the substrate is getting browner. one of the huge base rocks is getting cleaned by the turbos but they arent really on the other big ones. funny thing too is i lost a turbo (as in died) I'm not having these kinds of issues with my corner tank

I realized i may have my lights on too long, so i'm trying to make sure i'm not keeping them on that long, no more than 12 hours but that doesnt seem to help. anything else you can think of? I can provide some pics if anyone likes.
Pics would help. However remember that these issues are very common with new tanks. New tanks will experience the 'uglies' for a good 6 months off and on while your tank settles and stabilizes.

Minimizing nutrients will help. Are you using tap water by chance?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have well water here, but as of late I've been getting bottled water for water changes and topoffs. my camera has dead batteries i'll see what my iPhone can put out

when you say minimizing nutrients, what should I be careful of?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have well water here, but as of late I've been getting bottled water for water changes and topoffs. my camera has dead batteries i'll see what my iPhone can put out

when you say minimizing nutrients, what should I be careful of?
Well your use of well and bottled water is likely the first issue. I cant stress enough RO/DI especially when your already having algae issues. Bottled water unfortunately is often no cleaner
than many tap waters and is not free of contaminants.

By minimizing nutrients i mean do not be overfeeding, do not over light the tank, and keep on on maintenance to ensure any nitrates and phosphates are removed.

Do you have a phosphate test kit?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The bottled water I'm getting is drinking water, and it states it's treated by UV and reverse osmosis. I'm getting them (refilling) by the gallons. I don't have a phosphate kit but I can invest in one of necessary. I have a basic API saltwater test kit, should I get the reef one too? I noticed it tests for other things.

I have a 50/50 light (part actinics) and I'm sure it's on too long so I have to pay more attention to that. And I've always had a tendency to over feed and I think I'm doing that too. I'm assuming my emerald crab and hermits would clean it up (I forgot I lost a few hermits because they outgrew their shells)

I plan on investing in an RO system. I missed a grand opportunity on Craigslist for one
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The bottled water I'm getting is drinking water, and it states it's treated by UV and reverse osmosis. I'm getting them (refilling) by the gallons. I don't have a phosphate kit but I can invest in one of necessary. I have a basic API saltwater test kit, should I get the reef one too? I noticed it tests for other things.

I have a 50/50 light (part actinics) and I'm sure it's on too long so I have to pay more attention to that. And I've always had a tendency to over feed and I think I'm doing that too. I'm assuming my emerald crab and hermits would clean it up (I forgot I lost a few hermits because they outgrew their shells)

I plan on investing in an RO system. I missed a grand opportunity on Craigslist for one
Yes that water may be treated by UV and reverse osmosis but it still contains TDS (total dissolved solids) that can contribute to algae just FYI.

I would highly recommend a phosphate kit to see where your at right now.

Overfeeding, over lighting etc will cause algae problems everytime.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea I think maybe phosphate might have something to do with it. My other tanks are on just as much but the only difference is lighting. And substrate. I'll stop by the pet store while I'm on the road and see what they have.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok I don't know what's going on but something is out of whack. I just got home and noticed my emerald green crab was in the same spot he was in when I left for work. He was dead!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its diatoms, they should clear up with time. My 75 is going on 3 months now and I had a lot for about the last three weeks. My water parameters were great. I started feeding once a day and not a lot, cut my lighting down a couple hours a day for the last couple weeks and it's all cleared up. Had the same issue with saltwater tanks years ago, but it occurred closer to five months in.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
Ok I don't know what's going on but something is out of whack. I just got home and noticed my emerald green crab was in the same spot he was in when I left for work. He was dead!!!
I would do a full water test. Any chance it got picked on by something?

Tags
diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com