Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh, goody. A thousand bucks...

Old 06-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Haha, Curing your own is the best way to go. IMO a lot of time the LFS "live rock" is super crappy and not even that alive. I, like ziggy, have been gone for awhile but i too got my stuff from marcorock. Its all dry rock that you cure and cycle yourself. You can save TONS of money, and only have to wait like 3-4 weeks for it all to cycle. Some people also do 50/50 live rock and dry rock to speed things up.

HTH

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would buy some dry rock and cure it your self. The most important thing is the biological filtration.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can someone point me to an article on curing?

Here's what I don't get... Mass vs. surface area. My LFS wants to sell big heavy hunks of rock. If they had their way Iíd buy 3 - 40 lb rocks. Seems to me that if I find 20 pieces that are spindly, lots of branches and porous with FAR more surface area, why canít I buy 75 lbs. 125 pounds of rock consumes a LOT of space, especially if it IS porous and branchy. (Just making up new words as I go) Itís taking away from the display. So if I have a Fluval G6 with several pounds of those little ceramic nodules, and a 10 gallon sump with one end full with fully 10 pounds of those nodules, isnít that hosting enough bacteria?

20 years ago when I was into this and running fish only, it was all about the sump and the bio balls. Changed 20% of the water monthly and live was good. Rinsed the detritus off the balls in salt water every few monthsÖ I think we added bio wheel when they first came out but I really thought the bio balls were doing a good job. One could make a case that test kits are more accurate, but I never saw any stress on my fish.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by badamsios View Post
Can someone point me to an article on curing?
Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

They're sick alright... Even at a snails pace, they become rock star groupies. Someone told me to rock them to sleep, but they were so stoned, every single cell became porous.

Bit of a rocky start, but I think I have them corralled. Salty little farts are heavy when they retain water. When the lights went out I thought their lively hood was at stake. The detritus fact is, they can get a little crabby some times, but a little turbulence in their crevices skims that attitude. Thereís something fishy about that, but everyone needs anemone in their lives.

That took 20 minutes of my life I'll never het back.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

your live rock is most of your filtration. plus 75 pounds isnt actaully that much. i could fit 150 pounds in a 55 gallon tank. rock is heavyer than most people think. i mean a basketball size piece weighs at least 15-20 pounds and thatd be nothing in my 58 gallon

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com