Is LR.com the way to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about ordernig 10-20 pounds of LR from LR.com for my 29 gallon saltwater FOWLR setup. It looks good and was wondering if anyone here has any feedback or pictures of it. Wht kind of life/corals came with it? Thanks!

www.liverocks.com not liverock.com (although Zack, if your reading this, it would be a wise Idea to purchase the domain name liverock.com to make finding your website all that much easier. :wink: )

thats the place. Everyone here loves it. From what I here its the best stuff you can purchase online. I am ordering my first 40 lbs for my 37 gallon here in a couple of days. They are the people to talk to.

if I were you I would go with 30-35 lbs for your 29 gallon. If you dont get enough you wont get proper biological filtration and You will have alot of empty space in your tank.

order 25 lbs of it and loved the rock. i ahve also order from one other place and there rock dose not come close to the liverocks.com rock. i got tons of crabs and pods. some worms and feather dusters all over it. there have been some star fish and a small clam. you name it and it is on the rock for the most part. the rock has been in there for about 4 months now and i still find new stuff on it. love the rock and will now order all my rock from them.

From what I've seen of it, there isnt a local place that can touch it as far as quality. I personally havent ordered it yet because Im in Idaho and the shipping is outrageous. Im moving to Virginia in a month and hope to be able to get it there a bit cheaper. At any rate, it is my full intention to procure my rock solely through liverocks.com I really think you wont find much else thats better.

Great stuff. I added 40 lbs recently and it outdoes the original 180 lbs by a long shot.

I ordered 25 lbs of Keys rock from them yesterday. It will come today. I spoke with Mike and his customer service is outstanding. Go for it.

awsome. let me know how it is. I will be ordering mine today or tomorrow so I can get it on tuesday.

p.s. Lando your gallery rocks!!! HOLY COW what an amazing tank!

I want a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp myself, I had no Idea the Pistols were that big. do they come out much?

Shipping is always gonna be outrageous...you're paying for next day air, delivery to your door, by 11am.
Even though 40lbs of rock was something like $70 shipping...that still made my order about $5.15 a pound...and locally for 40lbs of 'crap' rock, I'd be paying $5.75 a lb. so it was a no brainer.

however if I only ordered 20lbs...it wouldn't be as good a deal due to shipping still being $50 for that much rock. Hence I've picked up another 10lbs locally to save cash.
If I could do it over again I woulda ordered 60lbs from Mike in the first place.

I would be paying 6.99 for DEAD "live" rock at my LFS.

By the way, How many pounds of LR should I have in a 37 gallon tank anyway? I think I am ordering 40 lbs. But I may want to order more depending...

Hey, thanks a lot Rocket! I appreciate your kind words. the pistol/goby combo is awesome. Very funny! They are out several times a day. my 25 lb order came to about $6.25 a pound with shipping. I am sure it will better then anything here. LR runs $8 to $12 around here. There is one shop that have really nice "carribbian" rock with sponges, algea, mussells and such on it but it is the $12 a pound stuff.

For a 37 gallon tank, I'd probably for for 50-60lbs. I thought 40lbs in my 40gallon was gonna be alot.
well, my photo in my sig shows the tank with 50lbs of LR...and it still could use more (i have another 10lbs curing in a Q-tank right now)

What I got with my 40lb LR.com order was: 2 large rocks...probably 11 lbs each. 3 medium sized rocks..4lbs a piece...adn then 3 small rocks, and 2 really small rocks I'd call 'decorative' (smaller than fist sized)...but very interesting in shape (one looks like a big finger, and is definitely some ancient shell that calcified into what I have now)

I have 80lbs of keys LR.com LR.
Good price, very beautiful colors and lots of life!

Shipping is a bit bu we can't control that. we make no money on it. Think about shipping 50lbs of rock OVERNIGHT..

My two main complaints about LR.com (and Zack never did address these except for trying to sell me more rock):

(1) wetwebmedia claims that due to the higher density of aquacultured atlantic rock its not as good for biological filtration. Zack told me that he would look for an answer to this but never got back to me.

(2) Shipping isn't perfect -- my LR.com rock arrived leaking all over the place (the leasing office in my apt complex that I met the delivery guy at was not happy) and the ammonia was through the roof for about 8-10 days.

Also due to the fact that a lot of the life in these rocks is from the atlantic its not exactly meant for aquariums that host life mostly from the pacific (wetwebmedia repeats this again and again)

Anyway :) other than that no big complaints about the rock. I've never ordered rock from anywhere else so I don't have much to compare it to.

Back
Top Bottom