Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
It sounds like your friend is doing OK. The only thing I would change is adding a skimmer. Skimmer remove DOC`s which eventually will change into nitrates. I would not mess with those fish you mentioned. They belong in the ocean and not in a tank. They wont last long in a tank Get the conventional SW fish that will survive in an aquarium.
I totally agree. Once they are in your tank, they should not be released back into the wild which will leave you with fish to get rid of. Plus, it's most likely illegal to collect them.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEverii View Post
Awesome thanks a lot. I think im going to play around with it for a while. Im going to go catch some baby fish out of the inlet near my house (red drum, grouper, flounder) and see if i can raise them and how it plays out with the strategy he uses.
Agree with others that this is really NOT a good idea. How you do with wild fish (illegally caught and housed, most likely) like these will not give you a good indication of how you would do with "normal" saltwater fish.

Personally, I don't think your friends way of doing maintenance is too great. He/she might be getting away with it, but it's just a matter of time before something bad happens in the tank and then they won't have a clue what caused it. A lot of nasty things can come in with "wild" water and it could always cause problems. I'm a huge advocate of RO/DI or some type of purified water to make saltwater... but I'd use tap water loooong before I used natural saltwater (and I'm 10 minutes away from it!), no matter where it is.

I also think a heater is a must. You're not keeping coral, so you could get away with the mid 70s for tank temps, but it seems like your tank is going to drop below that during some of your "cold" snaps. Granted... I'm not from FL, but it just seems like your place is going to get colder than your tank temperature at some point during the year.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I totally agree. Once they are in your tank, they should not be released back into the wild which will leave you with fish to get rid of. Plus, it's most likely illegal to collect them.
Ok cool, thanks a lot for the advice
Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

anything I have seen about using wild seawater involves quarantining the water for two weeks in a blackout condition. So if you have a 55 gallon barrel, fill it and use that to do water changes. also most places recommended to go out farther than waist deep to collect, like 5 miles out farther.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com