Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a rule to follow when adding stones or rocks or slate to an aquarium

Is there a rule to follow when adding stones or rocks or slate to an aquarium aside from making sure they're securely set? Can I simply use polished stones or slate pieces I can buy from local stores other than my LFS?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If this is for a Sw tank you want rock that has lots of surface area. There is less surface area on a smoth stone than on a pourus rock that`s filled with all kinds of pock marks. If you get what I mean.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I see. Perhaps it's best to have a little of each. I'm planning a layout for a 50 gal. SW that I just ordered yesterday. Know of any great links to help with laying out a tank?

I'm also looking in to artificial coral reef pieces that I've seen on the internet. They're pricey but in a 50 gal. I'll probably only need one of the medium size.

I'm getting a solid oak stand made for the tank. The stand comes well sanded and then I'll apply two coats, maybe three on the top surface, of classic oak polyurathane. I refinished an oak mantel, c. 1885, I purchased at an auction for $30. What a steal. It looks beautiful now.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Indeed in a salt system, you want porous or open rock for bacterial growth, neither polished stone or slate is going to give you the proper surface for bacteria.

For proper filtration in a 50 gallon tank, you will need more like 50 pounds of rock - you might get by with less, if the rock is very porous.

Might I suggest reading through the stickies in the saltwater forum for some general information on setting up a SW tank?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

check out the DIY section to make your own rock.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I checked out the DIY section on rocks, etc. Sounds like fun cutting out styrofoam to form a seascape. Now, here's my question. Doesn't styrofoam float? It must need to be glued down in the tank and if so, how does one clean it periodically?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
DIY rock is usually a concrete mix - not your usual mix - that you make your own and cure it in usually a kiddie pool or trash can to pretty much the same water you'd have in your tank.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. Right now I'm leaning toward my LFS for rocks. I really don't have the room to use styrofoam and I don't need the mess it leaves behind. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
this might be a good option for you-
Dry Rock
Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

You want at least one pound per gallon of tank volume, but the general recommendation is 1 1/2 - 2 pounds per gallon. You can use 75% of base rock (like the Marco rock linked above) and 25% of LR either purchased locally or online.

It depends on what you want in your tank. A reef tank requires more, a FOWLR needs less, but may need additional filtrations if you go below the recommended ranges.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rock, rocks, slate, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com