Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daler81 View Post
Sry i d get a skimmer if your tank is larger then 30 gallon and def get a wavemaker

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Why waste money on a wavemaker for a fish only set-up?
wavemakers are only "needed" if you have corals, and even then they are not a must have item.
skip the wavemaker and get a bigger capacity skimmer, it will benefit you a lot more.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSFDLQ View Post
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR, and I'm currently running an older Rena Filster XP 3 stage filter. I'm thinking of adding a hang on back filter, either an aquaclear70 or an aquaclear 110. My question, is there a benefit to this or would it just be a waste of money? Thanks
Hello LS...

Check the gallon per hour (gph) of the system. Provided you're a fanatical water changer, you don't need more than 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. Filters do a poor job of keeping the tank water clear of dissolved wastes, because they lack the ability to remove the old water and replace it with new. The large, weekly water change is the only thing that can do this job.

Change out a lot of tank water and do it often and you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

Old 03-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I did not think large water changes were necessary in a FOWLR. Isn't most of the filtration handled by the LR, LS, and skimmer?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The live rock and sand is most of your filtration. It turns the ammonia and nitrite into nitrates. Skimmers then work to pull as much of the proteins out of the water column before they become nitrates...in an over simplified explanation.
Water changes do two things that no filtration really can. It removes the nitrates and replenishes elements that are depleted in the water column.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I did not think large water changes were necessary in a FOWLR. Isn't most of the filtration handled by the LR, LS, and skimmer?

That depends on what skimmer, how much rock and sand, how much flow, and how much food is needed to be processed. A water change is an excellent method of nutrient removal.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I should have emphasized the word "large" in regards to water changes. I was not implying NOT having to do water changes, just the amount involved. Live rock and effective protein skimming are two things lacking in the FW aquaria.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I should have emphasized the word "large" in regards to water changes. I was not implying NOT having to do water changes, just the amount involved. Live rock and effective protein skimming are two things lacking in the FW aquaria.

Yes, BB is a freshwater guy, not sure if he realized this was in regards to a salt tank.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say go for it. More surface agitation, more carbon, more flow, and more mechanical filtration is good.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com