is there such thing as too many filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LSFDLQ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR, and I'm currently running an older Rena Filster XP 3 stage filter. I'm thinking of adding a hang on back filter, either an aquaclear70 or an aquaclear 110. My question, is there a benefit to this or would it just be a waste of money? Thanks

What makes you think you need additional filtration? An XP3 should be fine on a 75.

You can never over filter maybe with exception of skimmer!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Undecided

Should I skip the skimmer for now? I'm undecided as to add a filter, skimmer or a wavemaker. Any suggestions????

Are you noticing something different about the tank that you want more filtration?

How many lbs of live rock in there?

What i ve learned is live rock is your best filtration and then your skimmer so leave the skimmer on if you want more water clarity then add the hob for carbon purpose other then that i would just add more live rock but slowly not to fast or it might spike your ammonia

Sry i d get a skimmer if your tank is larger then 30 gallon and def get a wavemaker

Yes, I've put the HOB filter on the back burner, I am going with a skimmer, wavemaker and additional lighting for now. Thanks

I think thays a good idea good luck!

Sry i d get a skimmer if your tank is larger then 30 gallon and def get a wavemaker

Why waste money on a wavemaker for a fish only set-up?
wavemakers are only "needed" if you have corals, and even then they are not a must have item.
skip the wavemaker and get a bigger capacity skimmer, it will benefit you a lot more.

Tank Filtration

I have a 75 gallon FOWLR, and I'm currently running an older Rena Filster XP 3 stage filter. I'm thinking of adding a hang on back filter, either an aquaclear70 or an aquaclear 110. My question, is there a benefit to this or would it just be a waste of money? Thanks

Hello LS...

Check the gallon per hour (gph) of the system. Provided you're a fanatical water changer, you don't need more than 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. Filters do a poor job of keeping the tank water clear of dissolved wastes, because they lack the ability to remove the old water and replace it with new. The large, weekly water change is the only thing that can do this job.

Change out a lot of tank water and do it often and you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

I did not think large water changes were necessary in a FOWLR. Isn't most of the filtration handled by the LR, LS, and skimmer?

The live rock and sand is most of your filtration. It turns the ammonia and nitrite into nitrates. Skimmers then work to pull as much of the proteins out of the water column before they become nitrates...in an over simplified explanation.
Water changes do two things that no filtration really can. It removes the nitrates and replenishes elements that are depleted in the water column.

I did not think large water changes were necessary in a FOWLR. Isn't most of the filtration handled by the LR, LS, and skimmer?

That depends on what skimmer, how much rock and sand, how much flow, and how much food is needed to be processed. A water change is an excellent method of nutrient removal.

I should have emphasized the word "large" in regards to water changes. I was not implying NOT having to do water changes, just the amount involved. Live rock and effective protein skimming are two things lacking in the FW aquaria.

I should have emphasized the word "large" in regards to water changes. I was not implying NOT having to do water changes, just the amount involved. Live rock and effective protein skimming are two things lacking in the FW aquaria.

Yes, BB is a freshwater guy, not sure if he realized this was in regards to a salt tank.

I say go for it. More surface agitation, more carbon, more flow, and more mechanical filtration is good.

Back
Top Bottom