Is this a good match??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecancienne1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok after my ich attack thanks to petco ive started my tank over and its rdy for fish.. Just have a few in mind and wanted to see what yall might think about what i picked... I have 4 green chromis for the schooling effect which survived the ich attack and a yellow tail damsel also who survived, i want a flame angel a clown and eithor a coral beauty or a blue hippo tang this is all in a 55 gal tank

Ok after my ich attack thanks to petco ive started my tank over and its rdy for fish.. Just have a few in mind and wanted to see what yall might think about what i picked... I have 4 green chromis for the schooling effect which survived the ich attack and a yellow tail damsel also who survived, i want a flame angel a clown and eithor a coral beauty or a blue hippo tang this is all in a 55 gal tank

The hippo gets way to big for that tank and the flame and coral beauty will fight. Pick either the flame or the coral beauty.

Flame and i will eventually go bigger no doubt but how long does it take for the tang to out grow a tank this size

As soon as you get it... Don't buy a fish unless you have the tank for it's full size. Your gonna run into ich issues again if you try a hippo in that tank. You would need at least a 180 for a hippo tang.

Just wondering why would me putting a blue hippo in the tank give me ich issues?? Never heard of getting it that way before bc thats the fish i bought from petco that started the whole problem

Just wondering why would me putting a blue hippo in the tank give me ich issues?? Never heard of getting it that way before bc thats the fish i bought from petco that started the whole problem

A tang in to small of a tank will stress. When it becomes stressed it's immune system lowers and ich can then
Take over. Tangs are notorious ich magnets especially in smaller tanks.

Ok i understand u but what if theres no ich present in the tank how will it just show up bc the fish is stressed?? Not trying to be a dick just wNting to learn more about the parasite who killed my fish

Also does stress coat work for them aginst ich and when adding fish will it relieve stress on all the fish in the tank?

Ok i understand u but what if theres no ich present in the tank how will it just show up bc the fish is stressed?? Not trying to be a dick just wNting to learn more about the parasite who killed my fish

No it's cool :). That's the point of the forum right? Ich can stay in a dormant form on fish for a long period of time. Same with in your tank. Once a fish becomes stressed it then shows as the Fish can no longer defend against it with their immune system. Basically what happened was the petco tanks had ich but the tang wasnt stressed so it didn't show. However, once you moved the fish from there tank to yours it stressed the fish and ich took advantage of the lowered immune response. This is why people use quarantine tanks as well

Back
Top Bottom