Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Invisinak
well in a couple of months I'll be upgrading to a 150 gallon and that'll be full reef. this tank is just so I can get used to taking care of marine life properly. If that's the case with them picking on the corals and other things they'll just stay in the 30 gallon.

Thanks for the advice about them though. I'll have to watch them closely to see how they act later on when I add a few things. I'll probably be getting only mushrooms for this tank if anything because I know they're quite a bit easier to keep and I actually like the look of those a lot. Hopefully there won't be too many problems between them and the rest of the livestock though.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

first off Welcome to AA

the bi color will be fine with soft corals as for the royal grammar with caution he nips a lot , but if you keep well fed you may get lucky like me , hard corals I don't know since I don't have any
I have both fish they get along ok , just be sure to have lots of hiding spots

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #13

First off, thank you for the welcome. I've been surfing these forums for quite awhile but just finally got around to making an account and asking question. lol

alright, so I've run into a little snag with my stocking list. The site that I've been using for a couple of years now for my freshwater fish have everything on that list but one. It's currently out of stock on the Royal Gramma and they say it could be anywhere from 3-6 months before they get anymore in.

As you guys know the shipping fees on live fish for overnight is ridiculously high so I'd rather keep the order to one shipment instead of paying $35 shipping for a $12 animal that's pretty common everywhere except for here where there isn't a marine fish store anywhere within 100+ miles.

With that said, what would you guys recommend to maybe replace the Gramma in the list, or even replace a few things on the list that would be better suited together? I'd like something that's fairly active with swimming since the others all tend to hand out around the rocks.

I've decided that this tank probably won't be a reef at all and I'll just go reef when I get the bigger tank in the future. This way I don't have to worry about anything eating the corals or mushrooms. Hopefully that'll make the list of replacement fish a little larger.

Hopefully I can figure something out.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup... Chalk bass he is in the same family as the royal gramma (basslets). They are cheap, friendly, fast. It is a royal gramma, except it is bright blue and kinda red. I. Love. Mine.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have always found grammas and pseudochromis to be on the nasty side in smaller tanks.
I wanted to mention that I think you should upgrade to a 180- a 150 is too tall and not deep enough front to back. A 180 is shallower top to bottom and deeper front to back, making it a much better reef tank.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #16

the only problem I have with that is I already have the 150 gallon tank. It used to be one of my freshwater tanks that I took down. I'm not exactly on a tight budget with this project, but I don't want to go crazy with spending. A new tank plus all of the equipment that goes along with it is one of those things that I don't absolutely need to do. Maybe in the distant future I'll upgrade again, but until I get more experience with marine life I doubt I will, but if I do I'll definitely check into the 180 gallon if I do. You can never have too many tanks, right?

That is something I was worried about. I've been reading about royal grammas (and Basslets in general) a lot, which lead me to my questioning them together with the blenny and from what I can tell they either do really good in a smaller tank or terrible. As all of my livestock will be coming via the internet and can't return them easily if they act up. I'd like to have a livestock that is happy together and won't cause too many problems.

Thanks for the quick replies though.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's a hard thing to find. I've found that it's up to the fish in question in many cases, just like the folks before me that saw no aggression from their pseudos.
You just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best after choosing.
As for the 150, at least drill the back pane for a 1.5" bulkhead before filling it. This is an easy task and will make your experience more pleasurable.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #18

yeah it's already been drilled and a custom overflow mounted inside. I had that done as soon as I decided to go saltwater. I don't like the idea of plumbing coming up and over the back of the tank, plus those overflows seems really loud and not nearly as effective.

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com