Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Invisinak
is this a good stocking list?

alright, so my fishless cycling is kick started and underway. my tank size and levels are:
30 gallon+10 gallon sump(still in the works, but will be added before the cycle is finished)
Ammonia:10ppm(after a water change. Added some shipped live rock a day or two ago and the die off is really causing some spikes now)
Nitrate:2ppm
Nitrite:2ppm

Now I know these numbers are high so I have awhile to wait before I can add livestock. Now after some research I've made a list of what I would like to keep, but as it's my first marine aquarium I'd like some input before I do.

The list I was thinking about is:

1 BiColor Blenny, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Jawfish (not sure which just yet, but I really like the pearly), 1 Flame Hawkfish, and a pair of Flame Angelfish. I've tried to limit the size of the fish to small(ish) except the couple of show piece angels.

Now could I maybe take out one flame angel and perhaps do a pair of clowns with it? Maybe even take out one or two of the others. My nephew is over here a lot and really wants to see clowns in the tank, and I fell in love with the flame angels the second I saw them, but I haven't been able to find anything on keeping the two together at all.

Also eventually I would like a Mandarin Dragonet but I know they are pretty hard to keep and pretty much impossible in a freshly started tank. I'm going to get some seed pods I've found online to kick start the population of copepods and in a few months I'd like to try adding one to the tank if you think it would work out with the livestock I have planned.

I've also been reading about the bicolor blenny and the royal gramma not getting along sometimes due to the color patterns being close. I would probably go with the gramma over the blenny if that is the norm with most.

If it matters this is a FOWLR tank for now. Corals and other things are coming later once I get experience with caring for the fish and inverts properly. One thing at a time eh?

Thanks for any advice in advance,
Invisinak

Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would be pretty heavily stcoked especially if you plan to go reef. Also no angel is truely reef safe and I don't think a pair would work in a 30. The mandarin is on the fence...the tank is still on the small side for one but its possible

Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you got rid of one flame angel you could only get 1 clown IMO. Personally, i would not get 2 flames and i would go with the clown. Dont get the mandarin, there is no way it will live in that size tank unless you feed it pods all the time.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to nunu. Mandarins eat ALOT and unless you buy one eating prepared foods, I definitely wouldn't try it. Two angels never works in anything under a seventy five, usually 125. Other than that it sounds awesome! GL!!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

alright, thanks for the information. In a couple of months when I get the hang of all of this I'm going to be upgrading to a 150 gallon so I'll get my flames and then later on I'll get the Mandarin then I suppose.
I'd rather me suffer not having them then them suffer because I do.

So my new stocking list will be:
1 BiColor Blenny,
1 Royal Gramma,
1 pearly Jawfish
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 pair of Clowns

Does this new list work? Do you see any future problems that might arise from keeping these guys together such as the bicolor blenny and royal gramma fighting?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

List looks great to me
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks fantastic. Post pics when everyone's in.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like a nice group of fish. BL
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Looks fantastic. Post pics when everyone's in.
will do for sure. it'll be awhile, probably around a month or so before I can start adding anything, but I'll get pics posted as soon as I do
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is a nice little list. Are you sure you are going reef? You might want a second option just in case your flame hawkfish turns out to be a nibbler. Same might be the case for the bicolor and royal gramma, but that was previously mentioned.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com