Is this enough lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40gal breeder that will be FOWLR. It will have some inverts like shrimp, snails, and hermits. Also some feather dusters. I was wondering if this amount of light will be enough to keep my LR alive and allow it to grow that purple and pink stuff that i see on many sw tanks.

Two bulbs total both made by Coralife:
1. 36" Actinic
2. 36" 10,000k

TIA
Chris

96w bulbs? Those will be plenty to keep LR alive and healthy. You can keep some low light and low-medium light corals too :D

96w bulbs are actually 34"...so he could be talking about some normal output tubes. However, even a pair of those would be enough to sustain a simple FOWLR setup.

Yes they are NO bulbs. About 30w each. I was told that the LR would stay alive, but i would get no coraline growth. The only thing i would get would be a lot of green hair algae. Any Suggestions?

Actually, you should be able to grow coraline algae with those lights contrary to what your lfs believes. Before I bought my new lighting setup, I was getting coraline growth with my NO bulbs. If you have room, add another strip with some 50/actinic lights. Importantly, make sure your calcium levels are good as this will help promote coraline growth. HTH

Mike

originally, I started off with 2 NO: 1 10,000 and 1 50/50. I wasn't very pleased with the way it looked since it seemed too dark for a 90G, so I added 2 more bulbs, which consisted of a Blue Moon and a 50/50. It was more pleasing to the eye, but it didn't have the look I was looking for. However, even when I got the original setup, I was able to get coraline growth before adding the additional lights. Mine were 48" 40w NO. The Blue Moon was one of my favorite bulbs that were added during that time, and I think it may have even contributed to the coraline growth even more. HTH

Mike

36" 10,000K with Actinic lights sound like 192w which is more than enough.

Right, except we already determined that he is talking about 36" NO bulbs at 30w each, and that PC bulbs are actually 34", not 36" :)

SeriousDude5 said:
So how much many wats does he have going to much math :D

The bulbs are about 30w a each and there are two of them. One actinic and one 10,000k. I want to be able to grow coraline.

You should be able to grow coraline with the bulbs you have with the addition of calcium. The best results would be to add another light strip with 2 bulbs for a little more wattage (total 120w). This will help you grow the coraline you want.

Mike

60 watts in a 75gal. tank isnt enough you might be able to grow coralline I know I had 110watts on my 65gal and had some growing I just added another 192watt lamp and now its off the hook I would suggest about 110watts

SeriousDude5 said:
60 watts in a 75gal. tank isnt enough you might be able to grow coralline I know I had 110watts on my 65gal and had some growing I just added another 192watt lamp and now its off the hook I would suggest about 110watts

My tank is a 40gal breeder, so its not very high. The light should penetrate the water very well. What do u think?

if this helps.... this is how i want my tank to appear in terms of the rock and how the lights look (how the tank looks when i see it in terms of color and brightness)

If all you're looking for coraline, then what you have should be fine. If you want to enhance the looks more pleasing to the eye, I would simply add another light strip with a couple more 36" bulbs.

Mike

If you are looking for a more blue effect, then I would add a Blue Moon NO and maybe a 50/50. This will look great, and add the color you are looking for.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom