Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this normal for a Blue tang?

I currently have a Blue Tang and 2 Clown fish in my aquariam.

I purchased my Blue tang last week, he is adorable he swims around with my clown fish all day, at first he would not eat the pellets that I feed my clown fish, so i fed him some brine shrimp which they loved. Now when I feed my Clown fish normal pellets he swims extremely fast and eats all the pellets before my clown fish can! I only feed them once a day, but my blue tang is always eating off my live rock and in my marine-gravel...

Is this normal? shall I feed more, or less? or any suggestions!?

SH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

My suggestion is to return the fish to the store. Blue tangs grow to 12" and require a 125 gallon aquarium. They should always be housed in a QT tank for a month before being introduced to the main tank. That actually should be followed for all fish, but the Blue and Powder Blue tangs are called "Ich magnets".

The tang is a herbivore. It needs nori (seaweed) as a diet staple. It also likes to hide in LR, so you would need to at least triple the LR you have in the tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I personall y agree. They need a much bigger tank. a 6 footer is required. As Cmor mentioned they are herbivores and need plenty of greens.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com