Is this normal for a Blue tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I currently have a Blue Tang and 2 Clown fish in my aquariam.

I purchased my Blue tang last week, he is adorable he swims around with my clown fish all day, at first he would not eat the pellets that I feed my clown fish, so i fed him some brine shrimp which they loved. Now when I feed my Clown fish normal pellets he swims extremely fast and eats all the pellets before my clown fish can! I only feed them once a day, but my blue tang is always eating off my live rock and in my marine-gravel...

Is this normal? shall I feed more, or less? or any suggestions!?

thanks!

My suggestion is to return the fish to the store. Blue tangs grow to 12" and require a 125 gallon aquarium. They should always be housed in a QT tank for a month before being introduced to the main tank. That actually should be followed for all fish, but the Blue and Powder Blue tangs are called "Ich magnets".

The tang is a herbivore. It needs nori (seaweed) as a diet staple. It also likes to hide in LR, so you would need to at least triple the LR you have in the tank.

I personall y agree. They need a much bigger tank. a 6 footer is required. As Cmor mentioned they are herbivores and need plenty of greens.

Back
Top Bottom