Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I hav read about eleven or twelve articles about getting rid of this and alot suggest black out method leaving lights off and covering front of tank with Black construction paper .... If I was to do this how long would I need to do it for and also will it harm or stress my fish and lastly how often would I feed them???? Please help!!!! Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you mr x .... I have been putting in green seaweed and switching it with dark purple which is or dipped in garlic to help their immune system.... Everytime i feel I I've tank under control something else happens....

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 46 gal bow front freshwater with regular siphon vaccum that doesn't work that well can anyone suggest a decent but not too expensive vaccum to help suck it up??
Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
blacking out the tank is nonsense. it will not work. it appears as though it's working, but as soon as you turn the lights back on it will reappear. it's just a symptom of a bigger problem-excess nutrients. too many fish, too much food, not enough water changes, tap water...any and all of these things contribute to polluting the tank water. once the nutrient level has built up, things will start to happen, like cyanobacteria gaining a foot hold.

leaving the lights off will not harm the fish. they only need to see to eat.

just use a piece of hose. take the big tube thing off of the end of it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

So pretty much just siphon water out and keep close to rocks to get it off ???sorry if I keep askin stupid questions I just don't want my tank to fail...also should I replace 1000gph powerhead with 1300gph people are saying I need better flow but I just didn't want a problem with fine sand going all over the place... Thanks so much for help mr x
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeap. that's what i do. again. it's not the actual red stuff that should concern you, other than it being unsightly.
honestly, the failing of the tank has a lot to do with the planning. you planned very poorly. now it's going to be nearly impossible to keep it healthy. please reconsider returning or selling off some of the fish. i know what they cost, but it's much better for them, and it's going to be a lot easier for you to be successful at this hobby.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This is sure they eat every other day or even every 3 days. Yes, you can change what the vacuum and water. You can put some seaweed on a clip hanging. In fact, you should do.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com