Is this red hair algae or carraline algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
I took some pictures of my tank and was wondering if anyone can answer if this is a good algae or a bad algae thanks.....

60 gallon w/ 350 biowheeel and protein skimmer
260 watt t-5 lighting
1000gph blower(have 2-1300gph but I have fine sand which is blowing all over)
Ph 8.0-8.1
Alkalinity normal
Calcium 460
Nitrite .50
Nitrate 5.0-10
Ammonia 0
Tests all from aquarium pharmeceuticals

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1449299335.jpg
    image-1449299335.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 279
  • image-2738228625.jpg
    image-2738228625.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 264
  • image-399739802.jpg
    image-399739802.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 283
  • image-1412580375.jpg
    image-1412580375.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 243
agree with X, too many fish, added the tangs arent suited for a smaller tank. you shouldnt have any nitrIte readings either.

its cyano

Fish aside, does the algae blow off the rocks and are you able to scarp it off the rocks. If you can it's crayno if not its\'s coralline of some sort. the stuff on lthe sand looks like cryano.

It doesn't blow off rocks and I have not tried to scrape it off because I thought it was corraline I keep light on from 8am until 730pm is this excessive also I feed 2 cubes in am and 3 at night should I cut down on lights and feeding??... I am going to try to scrape it off tomorrow I really don't have much coral in tank but wanted to start adding some .... Is there something I can buy to stop the outbreak also can it kill the fish?

these fish are doomed without the help of cyano. cyano is just one visible symptom of overstocking.
that tank is way too small for those tangs. they will eventually get stressed to the point their immune systems will lower and they will get ich or some other illness and then die.
it's definitely cyanobacteria. you don't have to worry about the actual red stuff. you have to worry about why it came.
i would return all but the scopus and the clownfish. and then do weekly 20% water changes vacuuming out what i can with each change.
i would be concerned putting that many tangs in a 120, which is double the size of your tank.
i know that's the last thing you want to hear, but....

lighting should be down to 8hrs a day, and you say that many cubes? 5 cubes a day? thats pricey. cut down on feedings to every other day

I eventually am going to get a bigger tank but in the meantime I spent so much money on the fish I would hate to get rid of
Them... Tomorrow I set timer for 5 hours worth of light and I was going to feed just 2 cubes at night ... I just get worried that if
The fish don't eat enough they will go
After each other... Will they be ok to feed every other day?.... And should I try scrubbing out and vacuuming out what I
Can?

yes, it's ok for them to eat every other day or every 3rd day even. yes, vacuum out what you can with water changes. you can put some nori on a clip for the tangs. actually, you should be doing that. they get a lot of nutrition from the algae.

I hav read about eleven or twelve articles about getting rid of this and alot suggest black out method leaving lights off and covering front of tank with Black construction paper .... If I was to do this how long would I need to do it for and also will it harm or stress my fish and lastly how often would I feed them???? Please help!!!! Thanks

Thank you mr x .... I have been putting in green seaweed and switching it with dark purple which is or dipped in garlic to help their immune system.... Everytime i feel I I've tank under control something else happens....

I have a 46 gal bow front freshwater with regular siphon vaccum that doesn't work that well can anyone suggest a decent but not too expensive vaccum to help suck it up??

blacking out the tank is nonsense. it will not work. it appears as though it's working, but as soon as you turn the lights back on it will reappear. it's just a symptom of a bigger problem-excess nutrients. too many fish, too much food, not enough water changes, tap water...any and all of these things contribute to polluting the tank water. once the nutrient level has built up, things will start to happen, like cyanobacteria gaining a foot hold.

leaving the lights off will not harm the fish. they only need to see to eat.

just use a piece of hose. take the big tube thing off of the end of it.

So pretty much just siphon water out and keep close to rocks to get it off ???sorry if I keep askin stupid questions I just don't want my tank to fail...also should I replace 1000gph powerhead with 1300gph people are saying I need better flow but I just didn't want a problem with fine sand going all over the place... Thanks so much for help mr x

yeap. that's what i do. again. it's not the actual red stuff that should concern you, other than it being unsightly.
honestly, the failing of the tank has a lot to do with the planning. you planned very poorly. now it's going to be nearly impossible to keep it healthy. please reconsider returning or selling off some of the fish. i know what they cost, but it's much better for them, and it's going to be a lot easier for you to be successful at this hobby.

This is sure they eat every other day or even every 3 days. Yes, you can change what the vacuum and water. You can put some seaweed on a clip hanging. In fact, you should do.

Back
Top Bottom