Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK.thanks for all the sugestions

Old 12-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

so did anyone ever say if the sand in the picture above is the right sand to use? I'm setting up a 100g this week & I'm looking for sand now.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #13

It is fine, the use of silica in reef tank sand is exagerrated. And the "not for aquarium use" is something to do with the company and aquarium companies.

Means nothing.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks

that's what I was wanting to know.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #15

The vinegar test is good to see if sand is aragonite based.

If it is, it will sizzle.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

First. the silica packets as dessicants and the silica sand are two totally different things. Playground sand is silica sand and it would not be so if it was poisonous.

Second, the legal disclaimer comes from an agreement with Caribsea. If you get the playsand that fizzes in vinegar, it comes from the same quarry as the Caribsea stuff, they just can't market it as such. Caribsea has to justify the $20 per bag price they charge.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Can you tell me a source on where you heard silica is poisonous? I would be interested in reading this.
i dont have a source, just years of my grandma and mom telling me "keep the silica packets away from your mouth" the ones you get from shoes...

further research revealed for me, that the hazard label was on there because its a choking hazard, not because its poisonous... my bad

in other news... finally my mom was wrong for once
the only time i wouldnt recomend silca based sand is when u have rays sw or fw or fish that burry them selves or sharks. thats really the only reason people dont recomend silca based sand is because some people believe it iritates the fishes skin
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well actually it can be coarser but it is because people believe it slowly releases silica that leads to diatom growth.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com