Is this the right size sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR-JUNKIE

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I went a LFS and I was talking to him about my plans on getting a 240g tank from glasscages in a month or 2. And asking him about a sump and a pump.. I'm new to the sump thing so need some advice.. It's about 45 gallon custom acrylic sump looks good.. And a pump that he sold to me for 100 both.. I'll attach some pics.. I've been going to him for about 3 years and he is really good.. He told me the pump isn't good enough for the size tank I'm getting but will do for the awhile.. I don't have many fish about 4 of them.. Right now I have a 125g .. Any advice you can give me..? Also he gave me a perfect working ro/id that you see in the pic.. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405277681.746392.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405277744.873596.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405277772.871713.jpg

Shark~King

Sump looks about right...that pump wont do very much as far as supplying flow to the system, looks to be about 650gph or so. I have an 1800gph return pump on my 180g and it isnt nearly enough lol.

Is there a DI canister for that ro unit? Didnt see one.....

Right. Get a larger pump (not a rio IME) and add a DI stage to that RO unit and you are good to go. I always oversize my sumps, but you can use that for a 240. You need a pump to feed whatever reactors and skimmer pumps you will have attached. Think about your components and buy your pump to match.Save that rio pump to mix water with.

Yea that was the main reason why I got that pump.. But I was going to use it for a start while the think was cycling.. Then upgrade to a bigger pump just trying to make the best of the budget I have but with this sump tank I just got it helped my budget a lot.. I was also going to wait until I got all the small things I needed before purchasing the tank itself.. I building my own stand and things.. I also have couple extra biowheels and canisters should/could I just throw them on the back of it to..? Also could I use my existing tank (125g) to help just start my 240 and just throw my fish in there right away skipping the cycling process or there to big of a change to do so..? Hard for me to have 2 tank like that running in my apartment

Shark~King

What is a good size pump to get my budget for that is under 259 so

Shark~King

It depends on how much new rock and sand you are adding. If you put 100% dry rock in your 240, and then add your existing tank, you should not have much of a spike, and just have to deal with a diatom bloom on the new surfaces, but the livestock should be fine.
What i would do is add the rest of the rock and sand you want to the big tank, wait a week or so to see if you get a spike, then if not, move everything over.

Right now I'm using black Hawaiian sand in my 125. So I'll be getting all new sand. In my 125 I have about 100 lbs of live rock but I also have a 75 gal tank half full of live rock which total about 200-250 lbs total.. The 75g tank is not running i just use it to house my live rock in saltwater .. And the thing about it is my 125 is in the spot in the house where my new tank will b going .. You think with this method I could transition my 125g to 240?

Shark~King

Back
Top Bottom