Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

is this wet/dry filter ok?

i am ready to get my wet/dry filter...

is this one okay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Old 09-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Can you post what size tank, system your setting up-FOWLR, reef...coming from someone that has one similiar, if I had it to do over again, I would just buy as big of a tank and use a sump and skimmer. Most people pull the bioballs out of the wet/dry systems which is nothing more than a sump...Plus for $230 + Shipping, you can get an awesome set up (sump) and nice skimmer. Bought an Aqua C skimmer the other day rated for up to 120 gallons from Darrin at Captivereefs.com and it was $225. You can buy a nice say 20 gallon tank for $30-40 and have a nice set up....but again without knowing what you are setting up its hard to help.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a 75gal tank. i would like to setup for FOWLR. i have FW experience, but i am new to SW. i am doing as much research as possible (with a LOT of help from the forum). so now i need to bite the bullet and begin buying the accessories.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm... what is the general concensus of the members of this forum? buy a wet/dry filter or DIY?

i guess one of the things i am looking at is the particular wet/dry filter that i am looking at comes with a skimmer. if i go DIY, will i need to use a HOB skimmer? is an integrated filter/skimmer a good thing or are the HOB types better?

sorry, i am new at this?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would DIY a sump. With the $ you save you could get a good skimmer. There are good designs on the diy page.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Thats what I was saying as well..do a DIY on the sump and you will have $$ to get a real nice skimmer. Keep in mind if you buy a big enough tank, you can place the skimmer on the inside of the sump. Do a search on google or on the forum here for Sump pics or sump pics. There are some nice pics on www.wetwedmedia.com as well. Once you see how easy a DIY sump is, you will not regret you did this. I regret buying a wwt/dry for sure!! Spent $200 on a "tank" with bioballs for nothing really!! your choice though....just my opinion!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, i am convinced! i will DIY the sump. great advice!

ok, can i get recommendations on a good skimmer to buy with the $$$ i save on the sump.

Tags
dry, filter, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com