Originally Posted by fishysmellinholly
I was vacuuming the gravel and also doing my weekly water change.
I have an anenome, frogspawn, zoos, etc as far as corals go. Do you think one of these could have stung me?
After I did the water changed I added the following chemicals:
Do you think this could have killed the fish? I only added what it told me to on the back of the bottles (one capful).
You may have gotten stung but it is not likely .. If you got stung you would know it ..
I am willing to bet it was the Iodine , that caused it ..
You are adding Iodine which many folks are allergic to . I can not add any Iodine to my tank with out wearing gloves , inother words since I use it as a dip I take out the water and then CAREFULLYadd the iodine .. I am also allergic to sea food so , that is how I knew to watch the iodine ..
What did your tests say for the Iodine before you added ?
Calcium what did you add (brand, type ) Iodine has a weird 1/2 life where it will peak after adding then dip down , then stabilize out .. some caliciums such as purple up and some 2 parters add iodine , or iodide where you can overdose a tank ..
Iodide is a more stable forum to add but , you still need to test for all the additives you are adding .
Rule of thumb here is do a water change wait 2-4 hours before testing and 24 hours before adding if low do another h20 change and retest as above , if still low add less than what is called for wait and test ,,in the mean time (we had this happen we got a new test kit it read weird , took samples to the LFS
, they got one we ended up returning the kit and getting a new one as the old one was appearantly breached at some point causing faulty tests . We found that we did NOT need to add anything ..)
The other thing is that in salt water you dont want gravel (not sure if that is really what you have) and stirring up the bed can release high levels of Ammonia ,NitrAtes, NitrItes and mess with the anarobic bacteria .. The clean up crews will stirr the sand for you , as will certian fish if you go that route ... Yes too much of anyone of those or in combonation can be toxic to fish .