Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

yep you guys are right... after I did about 10 gal water change last night, its starting to grow again..I don't think its excess food so I will try to do 8 hours of lighting now.. I never really messed with the cycle timer before. came with the lighting so don't know how to do that.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reducing your lighting isn't going to make phosphate go away. It will help but it won't fix the problem, it will just be less visible or prevent it from spreading so fast.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
If I am reading it right, the lighting cycle is 12 hours? If so, you could probably run 8-10 hours. I run all my tanks at 8 hours. I agree, PWCs and excess nutrients will help to fuel the cyano and other algeas. If you have a sump/fuge, why not use some cheato or other nutrient exporting algea?

I would get some chaeto but I don't have lighting for my sump.. do they need any special lighting?.. or can a regular lamp be fine?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You say you're only feeding once every other day, but what exactly are your feeding habits? Frozen? Flake? Pellets? How much?

Also, how often are you doing your PWCs, and how much?

The whole idea of macroalgae still gets down to nutrient export. Seems like you need to get rid of the nutrients before they need exporting! With just two clowns and a damsel in your size tank, there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to get those nitrates way lower.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started feeding mysis shrimp.. been feeding bloodworms before.. I use about 1 cube every other day.. and so I don't need lighting for chaeto>?

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com