I've been battleing brown algea for awhile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengalyork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been battleing brown algea for awhile and I'm just running strip light that come with the tank I have crushed coral and regular hard corals any ideas?

What size tank.
What are your readings, ammonia, nitrite, SG, Nitrate. How old is your tank? did you cycle it...how?
What animals do you have in it.
Skimmer, other filtering sources.
Tap water, RO/DI...
how often do you do PWC,...
what is the wattage of your lights, what type...t-5, t-8, PC etc...

Ammonia is 0-.25ppm

ph is 8.8

nitrite is 0 ppm

nitrate is 0 ppm

its a 55 gallon with an emporer biowheel and cpr 192 sump with venturi skimmer, i have a yellow tang and clown and cleaner shrimp in it

Are you using tap water. If you are than you are probably adding the excessive nutrients that is fueling it.

yeah im adding tap water does that make the ph that high?

yeah im adding tap water does that make the ph that high?

I don't think tap water makes the PH that high, but I do think it is the reason for your algae issues. I would highly recommend purchasing a RODI unit. You can get one on Ebay for a good price. What are you using to test your waters PH? 8.8 seems really high, are you dosing something?

Ammonia is 0-.25ppm

ph is 8.8

nitrite is 0 ppm

nitrate is 0 ppm

Ammonia should really be a solid 0 if you have fish/inverts in your tank. I am also surprised your nitrate is 0ppm. How long ago did you start to cycle this tank? Are you testing with strips?

Back
Top Bottom