Just Curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeskalillis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have a Fish Only tank with no LR? I live in Hawaii and I can't get LR or Corals. I am able to get a select few SW fish. But I am just curious on what a tank with out LR looks like. It seems to me like most people have LR in their tank.

Definitely sucks living here sometimes. My fish selection FW and SW is rather small, and I can't order live aquarium items from online. Oh well.

So yeah if I can see pictures of FO tanks with no LR, that would be cool.

Put on a scuba tank and bam all the live rock and fish you could ever desire.

That's what I say too. Take a shovel and bucket to the beach! Don't complain about living in Hawaii...that's just mean! Lol!

Just saying that if I wanted a reef tank I couldn't do it. But whatever.

Besides Hawaii is a lot nicer when you are just visiting.

You can take any old rock from any where and it will become live in you tank. Just make sure to clean it really well before putting it in.

I guess it depends what island your on but I just googled it and it came up with a few fish stores there. And if there's not then it sounds like a good business to start.

Does anyone have a Fish Only tank with no LR? I live in Hawaii and I can't get LR or Corals. I am able to get a select few SW fish. But I am just curious on what a tank with out LR looks like. It seems to me like most people have LR in their tank.

Definitely sucks living here sometimes. My fish selection FW and SW is rather small, and I can't order live aquarium items from online. Oh well.

I live in Hawaii and I have LR in my tank... LEGALLY. the LFS here might be able to ship to Maui. pm me if you have questions.

Any rock will become live. I have lava rock in my tank with a few coral skeletons. Hawaii screams lava rock to me. Why not go with that?

Why can't you get any live rock or corals? Is there no shipping to hawaii from Cali? What are the collecting rules of HI? Florida you can collect up to 20 specimens a day

I guess it depends what island your on but I just googled it and it came up with a few fish stores there. And if there's not then it sounds like a good business to start.

Well I live on Maui. There are three petstore close one is Petco. The other two are local but they sell for all types of pets.

It would be cool to start a lfs but I'm probably not the person for it.

Why can't you get any live rock or corals? Is there no shipping to hawaii from Cali? What are the collecting rules of HI? Florida you can collect up to 20 specimens a day

Sure there is shipping to Hawaii from anywhere. Its just that shipping "live" things is not really possible. And it is illegal to harvest corals.

I guess I will just research more and see what is doable.

I spent the better part of 30 years keeping fish only tanks with no "live rock." While it is true what some of the other posts were referring to that "all rock becomes live rock over time", I understand what you are asking as the live rock being sold today contain many organisms that would not be found if not exposed to the natural ocean environment.

That all being said, there are certain steps you need to take when dealing with fish only tanks without the benefits of these missing organisms. Water quality is an issue that must be dealt with consistantly. Diets need to be supplimented. Lighting is not as much an issue unless you are trying to keep any natural plants in the tank. Hiding places/ shelters need to be provided to make the fish feel at ease in their new home.

All in all, a very nicely decorated tank can be made without the use of natural "live rock." My picture below is of a 75 gal tank I had. (One of the few tanks I have pictures of. lol:lol:) It was formed using Hawaiian Lava Rock as a base structure and supplimented with natural coral decorations. (Now, before anyone jumps on me for using natural coral, these were pieces that have been out of the ocean for over 30 years so they were all taken legally at the time. ;)) One of the benefits to using natural coral decorations was that the ph and alkalinity remained high in my tanks because if the ph or alki dropped, the calcium carbonate makeup of the natural coral would be released and would bring things back to normal. You can see this in some of my older pieces that were in tanks for many years. They became more smooth over time. The use today of synthetic decorations don't have this ability so that's more work for the aquarist.
You'll notice the corals are densely packed because I had many fish in this tank that liked to hide (Blennies, Gobies, Dottybacks, Angelfish, etc,) The more secure these fish felt, the more out in the open they would be when the lights were on. Just something to think about when you are decorating. ;) One note: you do need to be mindful of water circulation with a decor like mine. I installed 2 power heads into the mound to insure that water was constantly being circulated. They were not visible from the front view but were easily accessible from above. I used some artificial plants as a guide to show me that the pumps were working. If the plants stopped waving, I knew I needed to check out the powerhead. (These are all just little tricks I learned along the way ;))

Hope this helps (y)

Attachments

• 75 Gal Tank.jpg
    75 Gal Tank.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 290
Thank you that is exactly the response I was hoping for. It helps a lot. I can't really see the photo from my phone it doesn't enlarge. But when I get on a computer I will check it out.

Thank you that is exactly the response I was hoping for. It helps a lot. I can't really see the photo from my phone it doesn't enlarge. But when I get on a computer I will check it out.

I know the pic looks like the tank is really full but it was all stratigically laid out. There was a lot of open swimming space on the one side as well as through the piles.

This was actually 1 of 2 pics I took of this tank over a 20 minute period. This one was 10 mins before lights out so some of the other fish in tank were already in their night spots. The second shot was 10 mins after the lights went out and the tank looks bare. Everybody had gone to "bed." lol

I have a 135g tank with about 80lbs. of a variety of skeleton corals and about 30lbs. of small pieces of lr. Like previously stated "all rock turns into live rock, eventually"... I actually want to remove all of my skeleton coral and only do live rock. I have to bleach my white corals every 2-3 months because they get ugly greenish brown. My red horns have never been rinsed or removed. They have a lot of bacteria growth on them. Here are a couple of pictures.

image-466297478.jpg

Attachments

• image-458546514.jpg
    image-458546514.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom